Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEED HELP...8wt Fly Fishing Setup

Default NEED HELP...8wt Fly Fishing Setup

Howdy fishing peeps...looking for some recommendations for a 8wt setup. Some applications would be socal inshore fishing, tossing game changers, pyramid dinosaurs, bonefish, drums and possibly salmon/steelhead runs from Washington State down to nor cal. A couple that i was looking at are the orvis encounter and the echo traverse. Looking stay around $200-250. If you have any reviews on these setups or other recommendations please chime in. Looking for a 4 piece due to luggage fees on airplanes. Thanks in advance....cheers!
    Last edited by Piss on Myspace; 03-10-2019 at 10:34 AM.

As a former Pro staffer for G. Loomis I am partial to their high end rods. I must say though that Redington makes a lower end line of Roda, Path I think it's called that is pretty nice. Never been an Orvis fan but Ford/Chevy I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by augnmike View Post
    As a former Pro staffer for G. Loomis I am partial to their high end rods. I must say though that Redington makes a lower end line of Roda, Path I think it's called that is pretty nice. Never been an Orvis fan but Ford/Chevy I guess.
    Thanks for the response mike..I have multiple loomis rods from nrx 5wt to their 6 oz swim bait rods that I love along with a few TFO rods as well. Just meet Gary at the Fred hall show yesterday...really nice guy. I seen him at the edge booth, and I must say those are some nice rods!! Also bought a kayak to bowfish off at Perris, maybe I’ll see you out there. I found a website that has the path rod for $70, but it’s a 2 piece. I should have mentioned that a 4 piece is preferred due to how much I travel for work (hence the applications) and the luggage fees on a airplane. Thanks again, cheers!

Sounds good, happy to get together and shoot some fish off the boat. PM me with a number maybe we can talk.

I picked up a Redington Crosswater a year or so back. 9' 4 piece 8 weight. Comes with a decent case for travel. I changed the line to full-sink for striper fly stripping and have no complaints. For $169 it's a good place to start until you can clearly identify exactly what you would change or modify for your purpose. Then you can upgrade to the outfit that will be exactly right for you.

Just keep looking. Theres always someone selling fly rods. I need to get an 8/10 wt rod myself. Looking at Loomis or Sage with a Hatch Reel. I want to fish Pyramid too!!

Quote Originally Posted by augnmike View Post
    Sounds good, happy to get together and shoot some fish off the boat. PM me with a number maybe we can talk.
    Pm'd

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.W. View Post
    I picked up a Redington Crosswater a year or so back. 9' 4 piece 8 weight. Comes with a decent case for travel. I changed the line to full-sink for striper fly stripping and have no complaints. For $169 it's a good place to start until you can clearly identify exactly what you would change or modify for your purpose. Then you can upgrade to the outfit that will be exactly right for you.
    Thanks PAW, i was looking at that rod as well. The previously mentioned website has the crosswater for $50, but im thinking its an older model. Unfortunately, they only have a 2 piece....but that is 2 recommendations for Redington. I may just do the path or crosswater and pair up with a Lamson Liquid 3 pack.

I forgot to mention that i would be stripping for stripers as well. Can't wait to get on that yak and catch something bigger than the schoolies.

Quote Originally Posted by WARRIORMIKE View Post
    Just keep looking. Theres always someone selling fly rods. I need to get an 8/10 wt rod myself. Looking at Loomis or Sage with a Hatch Reel. I want to fish Pyramid too!!
    Sounds like that would be a sweet setup...thanks for the encouragment, but you know how it is when you get the bug...

Quote Originally Posted by Piss on Myspace View Post
    Howdy fishing peeps...looking for some recommendations for a 8wt setup. Some applications would be socal inshore fishing, tossing game changers, pyramid dinosaurs, bonefish, drums and possibly salmon/steelhead runs from Washington State down to nor cal. A couple that i was looking at are the orvis encounter and the echo traverse. Looking stay around $200-250. If you have any reviews on these setups or other recommendations please chime in. Looking for a 4 piece due to luggage fees on airplanes. Thanks in advance....cheers!
    Have you thought about going with a two handed switch rod over a one handed rod? It is much easier to make distance casts for me with the switch rod. For Pyramid I am using the Sage 8 wt 11' 9" TCX switch for indicator or streamer fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast