Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Second paddle out

Default Second paddle out

The only thing missing after action-packed session a couple days ago was a fish for dinner. Well, today I kept one the right size (18") and after losing tails on all 7 plastics decided to paddle back to the beach. Last time I only had 3 and they continued to shred them to pieces until the tube would fall off the hook.

Again, a lot of 10-12" fish (20-25) and 2-3 legals, mostly calicos today, a bit warmer in kelp and saw bait fish scatter in few places. Still pretty clean surface w/o chop. Nobody out there - I guess all are focused on rockfish opener..

have fun out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3046.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	51912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3044.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	51913  

Nice session,white baits,interesting.

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by efishent View Post
    The only thing missing after action-packed session a couple days ago was a fish for dinner. Well, today I kept one the right size (18") and after losing tails on all 7 plastics decided to paddle back to the beach. Last time I only had 3 and they continued to shred them to pieces until the tube would fall off the hook.

Again, a lot of 10-12" fish (20-25) and 2-3 legals, mostly calicos today, a bit warmer in kelp and saw bait fish scatter in few places. Still pretty clean surface w/o chop. Nobody out there - I guess all are focused on rockfish opener..

have fun out there.
    Wow, paddle board fishing must be a challenge. A big one can give you a heck of fight without much leverage, what size rod is best based on your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by alpine8fisherman View Post
    Wow, paddle board fishing must be a challenge. A big one can give you a heck of fight without much leverage, what size rod is best based on your experience?
    Well, I use a rather floaty performance 9 ft longboard for both surfing and fishing, but paddle board would be much bigger floating platform. I've been dragged by yellowtail in the past and even bonitas can get you in motion. Some time ago I wrote my thoughts on pros and con of surfboard vs kayak, and one thing that stand out is boards are a lot easier to deal with and are way lighter. I use Ugly stick jigging rod, doesn't cast too far but I don't need to since I'm able to position any place/way I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Nice session,white baits,interesting.

Cya Tuna Vic
    I used to get pink+ white tubes (the most unnatural, I know) in packs of 4 (best deal) but I must have bought them all - only white were left. I have used iron too - I think once they are in the mood - anything that wiggles in front will get reaction. My challenge is to find where they are w/o fish finder and try to learn something just to be proven wrong by the ocean on the next trip. Keeps it interesting.