Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Striper - Contaminated Fish Warning

I don’t buy it......I say they make Damn good tacos.how is it worse than stuffing your pieholes with McDonald’s...they have cancer warnings on the drive thru windows also,,,,,anyone question that?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    The warnings are flawed IMO and based upon a small sample size of a few large/older fish. I am comfortable eating the predominant striped bass at Silverwood which are less than 3 lbs because they have not lived long enough to accumulate a harmful level of mercury as determined by State Water Quality Control Boards. I know of similar small size (aged) striped bass at another SoCal lake that recently tested below the harmful threshold that triggers warnings. Mercury is in all our lakes thanks to atmospheric deposition from coal burnt in China and residual gold mining in the sierras. It is a complicated series of events that causes the elemental mercury to uptake into the food web. Research and educate yourself on the subject to make an informed decision for yourself.
    Are you comfortable, theoretically, letting your wife (if of childbearing age) or young children eat them with the warning in place?
    Frankly, I eat them from time to time, but do not let my wife/child eat them. Same with other species with significant bio accumulation, fresh or salt.
    It's too bad since they are delicious and plentiful.

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    Are you comfortable, theoretically, letting your wife (if of childbearing age) or young children eat them with the warning in place?
    Frankly, I eat them from time to time, but do not let my wife/child eat them. Same with other species with significant bio accumulation, fresh or salt.
    It's too bad since they are delicious and plentiful.
    Yes. I would also be comfortable with walking in the sun without sunscreen for short periods, drinking alcohol in moderation, eating a greasy double bacon cheeseburger intermittently and walking into a building with prop 65 warning posters.

Yes. I would also be comfortable with walking in the sun without sunscreen for short periods, drinking alcohol in moderation, eating a greasy double bacon cheeseburger intermittently and walking into a building with prop 65 warning posters.
    Lol. But you’re not pregnant or have a developing CNS.

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBasster View Post
    Lol. But you’re not pregnant or have a developing CNS.
    Yes you should be careful how far along are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    That warning has been around for several years. Consequently, I have stopped eating Striped Bass from Silverwood and haven't even been fishing there much these past few years, although the smaller ones that I usually catch from the docks would probably be okay to eat. I actually mentioned the health warnings on Silverwood stripers in another thread recently.
    Drinking the koolaid still I see. You are not young it would take 3 meals a day of 20 year old striper for you to start glowing, unless your’e prego then I’d cut it down to 2 meals a day.
    Last edited by seal; 04-18-2019 at 08:13 AM.

The warnings are flawed IMO and based upon a small sample size of a few large/older fish. I am comfortable eating the predominant striped bass at Silverwood which are less than 3 lbs because they have not lived long enough to accumulate a harmful level of mercury as determined by State Water Quality Control Boards. I know of similar small size (aged) striped bass at another SoCal lake that recently tested below the harmful threshold that triggers warnings. Mercury is in all our lakes thanks to atmospheric deposition from coal burnt in China and residual gold mining in the sierras. It is a complicated series of events that causes the elemental mercury to uptake into the food web. Research and educate yourself on the subject to make an informed decision for yourself.
    Voice of reason

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Voice of reason
    Hi Seal,

I'm glad to see you're alive and well!

I really was kinda worried about you!

Health issues etc can hit anybody at any time!

Especially at my age! All is well thanks.

When I look at the health warnings and it says, "Don't eat Striped Bass" for Silverwood Lake, I figure I might as well skip them, Seal. But I am aware that these warnings are very cautious and sometimes changed. They have just taken the warnings off at Puddingstone. There used to be warnings for the Salton Sea too, but that was removed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast