Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chumming For Stripers

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    My predecessor didn't have an intensive creel survey 2002-2008 to answer your question. Probably not above 10% harvest rate if I had to guesstimate.
    That's too bad! For these same guy's will now always say, "DVL was so much better when it first opened!" lol

I am a hookum and cookum fisherman if it is legal it's a meal. I only take home what I know we will eat for two weekends. Target stripers but if a catfish or large mouth gets in there it is going into the cooler and no guilty feels for me.

I guess no one on this thread is concerned over how fish are taken, illegally or not. The main concern here is to kill of the stripers and grow bigger LMB.

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    25-30% harvest rate is good. The data I presented was for DVL not Skinner....but coincidentally of the 5,223 LMB reported caught 2014-2017 only 104 were kept....again at 1.9%....not very unique is it? I believe all of SoCal is predominately C&R only and why big fish are becoming more rare. I don't think a 5 fish bag would be beneficial at Skinner given the limited habitat and quagga induced reduced recruitment observed since 2008 when they got in.
    Thanks Kwin I appreciate the info.

Quote Originally Posted by NFCD I View Post
    I guess no one on this thread is concerned over how fish are taken, illegally or not. The main concern here is to kill of the stripers and grow bigger LMB.
    CalTip-888-334-2258

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    My LMB buddy's swear they caught more and bigger Bass the first few years DVL was open. So what was the creel count from 2002-2008 and how many were kept?
    I would swear I caught more bass of all sizes and more big fish in most SoCal lakes as you go back each decade but maybe I just suck now lol. I haven't had a 50 to 100 fish day in a long time. It's been a long time since I caught a DD and I used to get 1 or 2 every year in the 80's and 90's.

Not true you are right but every thing seems to go this way I just cannot help replying to the large mouth bass people sorry about that. Glad you posted what you did.

Default Chumming

Quote Originally Posted by drifter023 View Post
    Not true you are right but every thing seems to go this way I just cannot help replying to the large mouth bass people sorry about that. Glad you posted what you did.
    At first I was not going to reply but as this thread continued to grow and go no where, I decided to throw in my 2 cents.
    First off chumming happens at every Lake that’s fished despite what you believe.
    Next until fish and game goes out on the water it will continue to happen over and over again.
    I understand both sides from the stripe bass fisherman wanting to preserve the fishing and the large mouth fisherman that want them depleted .
    I personally don’t keep any largemouth that I accidentally catch and I say accidentally because I don’t fish for them I just happen to occasionally hook up on one here and there, I release them because I understand it’s a fish that is highly frowned upon on those that take em , as for stripe bass I take my limit each and every time , not because I’m trying to preserve the largemouth population but because it’s a fish that tastes good made several ways as my favorite being fresh ceveche .
    So my 2 cents is going to say if you pay the fees and stay within the limits don’t worry about what others think or say you paid your dues and are entitled to take what ever the posted limit is.
    There I got it off my chest lol
    Last edited by Askwhy; 02-10-2019 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Askwhy View Post
    At first I was not going to reply but as this thread continued to grow and go no where, I decided to throw in my 2 cents.
    First off chumming happens at every Lake that’s fished despite what you believe.
    Next until fish and game goes out on the water it will continue to happen over and over again.
    I understand both sides from the stripe bass fisherman wanting to preserve the fishing and the large mouth fisherman that want them depleted .
    I personally don’t keep any largemouth that I accidentally catch and I say accidentally because I don’t fish for them I just happen to occasionally hook up on one here and there, I release them because I understand it’s a fish that is highly frowned upon on those that take em , as for stripe bass I take my limit each and every time , not because I’m trying to preserve the largemouth population but because it’s a fish that tastes good made several ways as my favorite being fresh ceveche .
    So my 2 cents is going to say if you pay the fees and stay within the limits don’t worry about what others think or say you paid your dues and are entitled to take what ever the posted limit is.
    There I got it off my chest lol
    Thanks for the comments. I agree that everyone is entitled to keep and eat their legally taken limits of fish.

Be careful eating fresh water stripers raw. I was told by a sushi chef not to eat any fresh water fish without cooking it first. I would think that would include ceviche.

Thanks for the comments. I agree that everyone is entitled to keep and eat their legally taken limits of fish.

Be careful eating fresh water stripers raw. I was told by a sushi chef not to eat any fresh water fish without cooking it first. I would think that would include ceviche.
    After more than 24 hours in all that lime juice I find it highly unlikely anything could live through that .
    I do agree with you though for those that dont cook it past that 24 hour time period , thats putting yourself in the unsafe side for sure.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast