Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chumming For Stripers

Quote Originally Posted by Fnguyen5992 View Post
    Those 3 guys all limited that day. I watched the warden check there license and count there fish.
    I'm guessing they checked them in the parking lot. It's good to see and hear the DFG is checking catches at Skinner, but it would also be nice to see them on the water every now and then.

Get all those stripers. Fun to catch but they have decimated Castaic's large bass fishery and even DVL's DD bass fishery is not even close to what it used to be. Get'em all boys...every one of them....

Quote Originally Posted by JS_ View Post
    Get all those stripers. Fun to catch but they have decimated Castaic's large bass fishery and even DVL's DD bass fishery is not even close to what it used to be. Get'em all boys...every one of them....
    DVL's DD bass fishery isn't what it used to be also because nobody keeps any bass Of the 88,453 reported caught in our 2009-2018 creel surveys, 1,171 were kept. That is 1.9%.....C&R only doesn't promote growth rates that produce DD's.

Harvest of both species within the regulations is a good idea to promote both fisheries.

Quote Originally Posted by NFCD I View Post
    I'm guessing they checked them in the parking lot. It's good to see and hear the DFG is checking catches at Skinner, but it would also be nice to see them on the water every now and then.
    Yes he checked everyone in the parking lot. They got 30 and I got 4 😔but I was using lures not bait.

Yes, you are right. That is an issue too. But I believe the stripers are the main issue for low numbers of quality size big bass. We do need to get a lot of the smaller drinks out but the bass size limits are also 15" too. We need better fishery management at some of these lakes like what you seem to be alluding to...

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    DVL's DD bass fishery isn't what it used to be also because nobody keeps any bass Of the 88,453 reported caught in our 2009-2018 creel surveys, 1,171 were kept. That is 1.9%.....C&R only doesn't promote growth rates that produce DD's.

Harvest of both species within the regulations is a good idea to promote both fisheries.
    What is a good percentage to shoot for? And is that 1.9% affected by the current 2 fish limit? Would that percentage go up some if the limit was increased to 5 do you think? Also is this low percentage unique to DVL? Sorry for all the questions this kind of an interesting topic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post

My LMB buddy's swear they caught more and bigger Bass the first few years DVL was open. So what was the creel count from 2002-2008 and how many were kept?

I am glad that you said that, KWIN. I have in fact read similar things about bass populations, but the catch and release meme is so strong that I think people are afraid to admit keeping any on a site like this. I don't target largemouth or smallmouth bass, but I have kept an occasional one over the years, which I have never reported here because I don't want to deal with the bass Nazis. And yes, they do taste good. They are basically a large sunfish. I used to keep Striped Bass from Silverwood too, but they have had a "do not eat" warning due to pollution these past few years, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by srsnow View Post
    What is a good percentage to shoot for? And is that 1.9% affected by the current 2 fish limit? Would that percentage go up some if the limit was increased to 5 do you think? Also is this low percentage unique to DVL? Sorry for all the questions this kind of an interesting topic to me.
    25-30% harvest rate is good. The data I presented was for DVL not Skinner....but coincidentally of the 5,223 LMB reported caught 2014-2017 only 104 were kept....again at 1.9%....not very unique is it? I believe all of SoCal is predominately C&R only and why big fish are becoming more rare. I don't think a 5 fish bag would be beneficial at Skinner given the limited habitat and quagga induced reduced recruitment observed since 2008 when they got in.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    My LMB buddy's swear they caught more and bigger Bass the first few years DVL was open. So what was the creel count from 2002-2008 and how many were kept?
    My predecessor didn't have an intensive creel survey 2002-2008 to answer your question. Probably not above 10% harvest rate if I had to guesstimate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast