Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing  RUNCL   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Chumming For Stripers

  1. #1

    Default Chumming For Stripers

    A friend of mine said he was at Skinner on Tuesday bait fishing at the buoy line. He said there was a boat with three guys in it doing the same. The only difference was they were catching fish and he wasn't. He said he noticed the gulls were diving and picking bait of the service around this particular boat. This tells me they were obviously chumming. I would like to think they didn't know it was illegal to chum in fresh water in California.
    They were lucky, because the DFG was just there the day before.
    If anyone cares to help stop the illegal taking of fish at Skinner or any other lake, please text or call the DFG at 1-800-292-7800.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NFCD I View Post
    A friend of mine said he was at Skinner on Tuesday bait fishing at the buoy line. He said there was a boat with three guys in it doing the same. The only difference was they were catching fish and he wasn't. He said he noticed the gulls were diving and picking bait of the service around this particular boat. This tells me they were obviously chumming. I would like to think they didn't know it was illegal to chum in fresh water in California.
    They were lucky, because the DFG was just there the day before.
    If anyone cares to help stop the illegal taking of fish at Skinner or any other lake, please text or call the DFG at 1-800-292-7800.
    Just a quick question about Stripers in Skinner. Are they consider a menace being in there? 4 or 5 years ago, many people thought the Stripers in DVL was a good thing. Not so much anymore because they don't bite like they once did.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Just a quick question about Stripers in Skinner. Are they consider a menace being in there? 4 or 5 years ago, many people thought the Stripers in DVL was a good thing. Not so much anymore because they don't bite like they once did.
    striped bass are an inadvertent introduction to DVL and Skinner through water importation. However, they are a very popular component to the fisheries and when properly managed, are a valuable component to the fisheries. Proper management is achieved through high harvest rates in enclosed non-anadromous waters...hence the no size restriction and 10 fish bag limit. Creel surveys show harvest rates at both lakes is around 70%....good but could be better. Both lakes are loaded with striped bass now and likely into the future. Go and get em!

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    striped bass are an inadvertent introduction to DVL and Skinner through water importation. However, they are a very popular component to the fisheries and when properly managed, are a valuable component to the fisheries. Proper management is achieved through high harvest rates in enclosed non-anadromous waters...hence the no size restriction and 10 fish bag limit. Creel surveys show harvest rates at both lakes is around 70%....good but could be better. Both lakes are loaded with striped bass now and likely into the future. Go and get em!
    I know some people really like catching Stripers. But the LMB and trout fishermen hate their gut's always citing 2 examples. The first one is DVL, when it was first opened they had a very good holdover trout population. Plus the LMB fishermen always claim it was much better back then. Then the Stripers appeared and it all changed! The 2nd example is something I was part of. Many people including myself thought Castaic lake was going to produce the next World Record Large mouth Bass. My Taxidermist in the late 1980 and early 1990's was chasing that one all the time. (he took me along because I was a such a good customer) Along with many other people who basically gave up their lives chasing that one. Then overnight that Trophy fishery went KABLOUEEE! Yes there was some drawn downs that effected the fishing. But the big appearance of those Stripers and the overnight disappearance of DD LMB and double DD LMB can't be explained away by some blood diversity theory. lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 02-01-2019 at 02:30 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Apple Valley,CA.
    Posts
    507

    Default

    The stripers made there own way in to the lakes thru the aqueduct nobody stocked them. Every large mouth bass fisherman snivels about them I use to bass fish but got tiered of all the wining about keeping one or two bass. Plus I have fished silverwood since it opened and remember when you could catch 5 and lb. browns there. When the stripers showed up they were gone but s*#T changes so we just have to deal with it. I now love fishing for stripers and do not feel guilt about keeping them big or small.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SGV
    Posts
    1,247

    Default

    Stripers were planted in San Francisco Bay along time ago they made there way into the delta.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Menifee
    Posts
    1,150

    Default

    Wow! this thread got off track really fast! NFCD's post had to do with DFG law breakers and not how many stripers are in a given lake. If I read him right, the question is if it is ok to create your own set of rules based on your own personal view of the efficacy of current law? I don't see a lot of traffic so I'll just go as fast as I see fit. My tax money is just going to be misspent so I'll just skip paying this year. Too many stripers so I'll just chum to my heart's content. Thanks for the tip line NFCD1!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by P.A.W. View Post
    Wow! this thread got off track really fast! NFCD's post had to do with DFG law breakers and not how many stripers are in a given lake. If I read him right, the question is if it is ok to create your own set of rules based on your own personal view of the efficacy of current law? I don't see a lot of traffic so I'll just go as fast as I see fit. My tax money is just going to be misspent so I'll just skip paying this year. Too many stripers so I'll just chum to my heart's content. Thanks for the tip line NFCD1!
    Since I was the thread jacker "I'll make a formal apology!" Sorry for bringing up the topic of Stripers in our local lakes. (I know from experience, if no one responds it can be a little disheartening, so I was just trying to make a little conversation)
    Last edited by etucker1959; 02-02-2019 at 01:05 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SGV
    Posts
    1,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NFCD I View Post
    A friend of mine said he was at Skinner on Tuesday bait fishing at the buoy line. He said there was a boat with three guys in it doing the same. The only difference was they were catching fish and he wasn't. He said he noticed the gulls were diving and picking bait of the service around this particular boat. This tells me they were obviously chumming. I would like to think they didn't know it was illegal to chum in fresh water in California.
    They were lucky, because the DFG was just there the day before.
    If anyone cares to help stop the illegal taking of fish at Skinner or any other lake, please text or call the DFG at 1-800-292-7800.
    This is not the first I’ve heard ppl don’t this at skinner

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NFCD I View Post
    A friend of mine said he was at Skinner on Tuesday bait fishing at the buoy line. He said there was a boat with three guys in it doing the same. The only difference was they were catching fish and he wasn't. He said he noticed the gulls were diving and picking bait of the service around this particular boat. This tells me they were obviously chumming. I would like to think they didn't know it was illegal to chum in fresh water in California.
    They were lucky, because the DFG was just there the day before.
    If anyone cares to help stop the illegal taking of fish at Skinner or any other lake, please text or call the DFG at 1-800-292-7800.
    Those 3 guys all limited that day. I watched the warden check there license and count there fish.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •