Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 1/28/19 rented boat at castaic upper.

Default 1/28/19 rented boat at castaic upper.

I tried some float and fly.. dropshot.. then switched to decent sized jerkbait and then a real nightcrawler on a small hook. with a tiny #7 split shot about 4-5 foot up the line just to help cast it a little farther and help it sink a little faster. so just jerkbait around the area and randomly tossed the nightcrawler in different spots around me and got couple dink largemouth a dink smallmouth and a ok smallmouth. I actually seen the bigger smallie take the nightcrawler on way down.. I grabbed rod.. then nothing like he just had the worm only in mouth but he came back for it and took out the line again and bam got em. I got two pole license to do this trick when im by myself.. I think it works good. throw any type of search bait and then have a slow finesse type around the area you are also working the search bait through.. the fish too scared to go and chase or lazy ect will more then likely hit the slower less intimidating presentation.. sorry not best angle for recording.
    Last edited by jdogg661420; 01-30-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Bummer on getting a bad boat.
    How long were you out on the water?

Nice video,that’s the kind of weather I like to fish a lake (flat) sorry for the boat motor issues,I could feel the frustration,I’m sure that nice smallie eased the tension,thanks for the vid!

Cya Tuna Vic

8am - 2pm. ya its funny when i got the boat in morning they were all warning me its gonna be 20mph winds.. but it was perfect day... though out in open of lake was a little wavy.. it was maybe like 5-10 mph winds all day.. one thing though after going for Castaic for 2 years never listen to any weather forecast... the lake has its own weather.. half the time they say its windy its perfect half the time they say its pefect its blown out.. i prob could have got on some stripes there was like 6-7 boats all sitting in one area.. for several hours.. but i don't like to pull up next to others on lake and cast near them.. i mainly just do my own thing.. was hoping to find a couple more bigs but the water is still cold.. but its crazy the bigger smallmouth was fighting like it was dead of summer.. but i don't think they have dumped any cold cold water in lake from up north yet.. it seems they have only been releasing it.. so upper is low and the lagoon is running off. so who knows when spawn is coming.. the upper here is a *****.. if they let in a ton of cold water.. it could be another crappy spawn up top. the way i got bigger smallmouth was funny also.. i was doing bigger jerkbait.. as soon as i stopped it top water by me.. so then i threw the nightcrawler with little weight out near that area and booyah. so ya it was too lazy to smash the jerkbait but it made him active enough to topwater right by the boat... or else i might have took off from that spot.
    Last edited by jdogg661420; 01-31-2019 at 07:28 PM.