Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Bullet train to Lake Wohlford (wide open trout fishing)

Default Bullet train to Lake Wohlford (wide open trout fishing)

I always put my disclaimers in first. (I don't want anyone to go and be disappointed) I always go on the weeks they stock it. (they don't stock it every week, so check before you go) With that being said, it was stupid wide open for the people who knew how to fish! My buddy took a boatload of kids in a boat and he had 25 trout before we got there at 10 am. He fishes totally different from me. He anchored up in Boat dock cove and fished Mice tails there and just killed it! The Fly boats went to the East end and set up and they killed it too! That is 2 completely different ways to fish that lake then I do, so it just goes to show you how good Lake Wohlford really is! I read everything I can on fishing and I've come to the conclusion that Lake Wohlford when stocked, is the "BEST TROUT LAKE" in Southern CA. If someone has a different opinion, I'd love to hear it. I don't count those membership lakes though. (their a different animal) Am I worried about burning my hot trout lake with my own reports? Nooooooo! Why because in the 3 trips I did there this month, I didn't see 1 other boat drifting for trout in the East end of the lake! (So nobody is reading my reports and copying what I'm doing) So this is another example how this websites is not burning lakes!!!! lol

On to the fishing!

I have so much confidence in this lake, I didn't even bother going trout fishing the first 2 hours upon arriving there. We went Catfishing first and got into a little action. My other buddy basically left with full limits, just as we were motoring out to fish. After getting into some catfish action, we motored down to the East end to get our trout limits. We noticed the Fly boats and some hanger oner's were all anchored in a rectangle formation well above the last air ratter. They were close to the Plymouth Rock spot, but not quite. Unfortunately the hanger oner's made drifting the Plymouth Rock spot impossible! (they couldn't get in on the Fly boats but just watched from a safe distance) That did leave the area from just above the last air ratter, all the way to the reeds with "no one there." For the last 2 years, that was the hot spot on the lake. (But not this year) We drifted that area for over an hour for nary a bite.

This is the time a lessor Captain would start doubting himself! (that's when people start making really bad decisions) But this Captain is a complete arrogant arse and is so full of himself, he thinks he's going to pull a rabbit out of a hat every time the chips get down. It was just a matter of a process of elimination. I know their not at the West Buoy's because we were fishing with N/C and Catfish P/B there and would have caught a trout by accident if there was a lot of them there. They were at Boat Dock cove in the morning, but there is only 2 boats there now. (so they probably left that area) The Fly boats are leaving too, so their bite dried up. The only thing that is left is the Doughnut hole. I call it the Doughnut hole because everything on the edges is no good for trout. (only the center is good) The Doughnut hole starts just below the 2nd to the last air ratter and goes to the point in the East end. (where the normally good trout fishing starts)

Part of my confidence comes from the bait and the technique. I've got the bait and the rig already figured out on these fish. (it's greenish garlic rainbow power bait dipped in garlic) Fished on #2 test with an number 5 split-shot with an 18 inch leader. Drifting the boats just means, we are covering more ground to locate them. Once we find them, we keep making the same drift till they stop biting or we are all limited out. Sure enough we got bit real quick to add to our confidence. Once we got to a certain point, we were now getting 2 or 3 bites at the same time. Their wasn't one school of fish but 3! We would usually hit 2 out of the 3 schools of fish on the same drift. Since we would hook 2 or 3 every time, it wasn't long before we were all limited out!

I tried everything I could to make it a little bit of a challenge. (but the lake is just too good, not to catch a boat load of fish in) They are stocking again this week, but we are getting a lot of rain. It never blew out at all last year, but the year before it did. (we had a ton of rain that year) I'm going to call down there first, after the rain is over to check on the water clarity. That will screw up the trout fishing, but it will spur the catfish on to bite. So I will take a wait and see attitude on her before I go down again!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-15-2019 at 07:38 AM.

Question...you mention drifting the boat. Is this similar to the "Loch Style" of fishing on still water using a drogue to slow your windward drift? Devin Olsen mentions it in talking about International Fly Fishing competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    Question...you mention drifting the boat. Is this similar to the "Loch Style" of fishing on still water using a drogue to slow your windward drift? Devin Olsen mentions it in talking about International Fly Fishing competitions
    It's funny, when we are drifting we are using bait or lures and doing very well. We don't need to slow the boat down at all. It's normally not a very windy lake but I do check before I go. 6-7 mph winds are perfect for our kind of fishing. The Fly boats are all anchored up and do very well that way. We are all only fishing in 6 feet of water at the East end of the lake. So many different techniques do work there.

Big bear lake is the best trout lake. They been stocking mt lassen trout there twice a month

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    Big bear lake is the best trout lake. They been stocking mt lassen trout there twice a month
    That's funny you mention Big Bear as a good trout lake. Let's leave last year out of the equation for a minute. It's been said by many especially at trout derby times, that's it's been pretty lousy lake for about 5 years because they didn't stock it like they use too!

Now let's talk about last year. (I read everything I can about fishing) I have been reading better reports about the lake last year but I dismissed it as propaganda. If they now are stocking it twice a month, I'll check it out in the spring. (I use to like to troll that lake) After trout season is done at Lake Wohlford of course! lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-15-2019 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    It's funny, when we are drifting we are using bait or lures and doing very well. We don't need to slow the boat down at all. It's normally not a very windy lake but I do check before I go. 6-7 mph winds are perfect for our kind of fishing. The Fly boats are all anchored up and do very well that way. We are all only fishing in 6 feet of water at the East end of the lake. So many different techniques do work there.
    That makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    That's funny you mention Big Bear as a good trout lake. Let's leave last year out of the equation for a minute. It's been said by many especially at trout derby times, that's it's been pretty lousy lake for about 5 years because they didn't stock it like they use too!

Now let's talk about last year. (I read everything I can about fishing) I have been reading better reports about the lake last year but I dismissed it as propaganda. If they now are stocking it twice a month, I'll check it out in the spring. (I use to like to troll that lake) After trout season is done at Lake Wohlford of course! lol
    Big bear lake has always been a good lake for trout most of the big trout come from the dam area and on the troll. When I was up there in November they stocked the lake with 3500lbs of trout. In the winter time they put in a lot of fingerling trout and I read 2 years ago they dump in 2 million metric ton of catfish

Thx for the report, tuckers.

When you say, "the fly boats," what are they chucking? 5 weights? Are they throwing Woolly Buggers or something?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Thx for the report, tuckers.

When you say, "the fly boats," what are they chucking? 5 weights? Are they throwing Woolly Buggers or something?
    I'm sorry to report the answer to that is beyond my pay grade. All's I know is their still fishing with an indicator to some kind of fly. Sorry for not being more help!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-16-2019 at 10:53 AM.