Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Best rubber boots?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Best rubber boots?

I often see fishermen from shore wearing rubber boots which allows them to wade into water about 8 inches or so deep. I wear hiking books that are supposedly waterproof but water do seep through the seams. Since I walk a lot when I trout fish from shore, I'd love to have a pair of rubber boots but have found them not that good for hiking in and out.

Any recommendation as to what brand rubber boots are the best for lots of walking?

Anyone wear hip height waders instead?

Thanks!

I usually don't wade in when shore fishing. However, I wear full waders when I float tube.. some times I get into very shallow areas where it's difficult to kick and I do end up wading in them and dragging the tube with me to fish.

I have a pair of Xtratuf low Deck Boots that are water proof. I toss in some Dr Scholls and they are super comfy for my ocean trips. I usually will wear them to work or out when its raining also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I often see fishermen from shore wearing rubber boots which allows them to wade into water about 8 inches or so deep.
    Now this is going to sound overly thought out, but here goes.

I'm assuming you're seeing these fisherman from shore fishing still water, correct? Because in any type of moving water, whether it be a stream/creek/river or the surf, 8 inches of water can turn into a foot quite quickly, (waves, currents, contours), so I assume these individuals are wearing the taller versions of rubber boots, which I have found very uncomfortable, especially around the calves and Achilles area. And, with a 15" boot, if they want to remain 100% dry, the deepest they would be able to wade without the risk of getting wet would be about 8 inches or so, since they run the risk of water seeping over the top of the boots if they're standing in 12 inches of water. (And now you have wet socks and a boot-full of water, since rubber doesn't drain.)

And if you're wading/walking uncomfortable in a foot of water, you might as well fish from shore, as I don't see being in a foot of water as giving you any type of advantage than the guy standing on shore, IMO.

I wear hiking books that are supposedly waterproof but water do seep through the seams.
    Waterproof or water resistant? Those are two terms that are erroneously interchanged. GoreTex is probably the best fabric that boots are made out of that are waterproof, but breathable, hence the price tag. Of all the hiking boots that I've owned (Asolo, Arc'teryx, Scarpa), as long as standing water did not get over the collar, they were rock solid and not one drop of water made it into the shell.

And while they can be submersed, unless GoreTex boot goes up to your knees (tallest I've seen is 8",) chances are, you will get water over the collar if you're trying to wade in them. The worse part? Much like the traditional rubber boots, while GoreTex does a great job of keeping water out, it will also do a great job of keep water in. Not fun walking with a boot-full of water.

Since I walk a lot when I trout fish from shore, I'd love to have a pair of rubber boots but have found them not that good for hiking in and out.
    Yeah, they're not really meant to be used to walk long distances. The only times I've seen guys wearing rubber boots is when they're fishing on sportfishing boats in the salt, where there is hardly any walking or submersion in water involved.

Any recommendation as to what brand rubber boots are the best for lots of walking?
    That's a toughie. I know someone already recommended using the XTratufs with a good insole, but I haven't done that so cannot give you a good idea of whether or not they'll be comfortable. I know there are some pricier rubber boots that are made for hunters, including some made by LaCrosse or MuckBoots. Expect to pay a premium though.

Anyone wear hip height waders instead?
    I've only found one body of still water in California where I needed to get off the shore to get into fish. (It was one of those lakes that have big flats, where you can walk 100 feet into the lake and still be thigh high, thus being able to cast to fish you could not reach from shore. And in that specific case, I wear full waders with wading boots that are extremely comfy, especially when walking/hiking/wading longer distances. If I had expendable income, and didn't wet wade 80% of the year, I'd also invest in wading pants, as they seem pretty comfortable.

THANK YOU for investing so much time to provide a thorough response. Much grateful!!

I would recommend the Hodgman Neoprene Wade Shoe, if you're still looking for one. It keep out sand and gravel and they have a grippy sole that doesn't slip on mossy rocks. If they keep making them, I'll keep buying them.