Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 12-23 LAB Report

Default 12-23 LAB Report

Date - Fishing Time: 12/23/18 – 7:40 am – 12:00 pm
    Location / Launch Location: Los Alamitos Bay – Mother’s Beach West side
    Total Fish Caught: 4 Spotted Sand Bass
    Bait Used (No of fish): Smoke (1), Red Penny (3)

Solo Mission

Goals – Primary goal today was to continue my lessons in swim baits, play with the fish finder more and to try out a new color bait.
    Report – Swim baits are a no-go for me. I am going to bench them for the time being and focus on testing techniques and colors for the winter fishing. I am noticing it is severely different than what I started with in the summer. My new Red Penny bait (Frosted Blood Red top with New Penny (Amber with Black and Copper) bottom) worked really, really well. Very happy how it did and will surely be perfecting it moving forward. I am noticing that Spotties don’t seem to be biting any of my greens much. Tried Glow, Sardine, Watermelon Red and Green Pumpkin today with no luck. Also tried Mint but hit it with the Smoke and Red Penny. The tides were a touch annoying to deal with, just need to stay focused and watch them.

The Visitor – Was fishing and heard some splashing behind me. There was a couple messing around with a new boat so assumed it was them like dumping a bucket of water or something, heard it again so I turned to see if they were going to get me wet. About 20 feet from me I saw a head pop out of the water and it was what I think is a harbor seal, or as SP Dan calls them a sea dog I think. The head went under and his body came up and the damn thing was like a frigin’ whale. Must have been 10 feet long and 4 feet across. Big old fat bastard. Scared the living S out of me so I was like grabbing my phone and asking the guy that was on the boat, “Did you SEE that thing?? Did you?!” He looked at me and was like, “Yah, he’s here all the time. Don’t get near it” My little fins at that point turned into propellers and I never saw it again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0769.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	51751

I was walking my dog , I think I saw you coming out of side channel

Is that right? Would have been cool to say hello. Does the forum have a secret wave or hand sign? lol.

Here is the video

You where down the Marina Pacific Channel. I waited a bit , but knowing how long it takes . To cover water while fishing , I might waited a long timeeeeeeeeee .