Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Lake Wohlford express keeps chugging along

Default Lake Wohlford express keeps chugging along

A gentlemen wrote last week in another thread, about how useless most internet fishing information really is. (In the sense of burning a lake) I totally agree with that! Unless you know how to fish that lake correctly and the fish haven't changed their feeding pattern. You are most likely going to show up at that lake and not repeat the success of the OP. (That's what happened again on Friday to us) One of my shipmates invited another friend and his family to meet us down there. (with no instructions on how to fish the lake properly) Can you guess the results? Yea, if you guessed 2 out of 3 of them got skunked, you win a cupid doll! It's an easy lake to fish, if you know what you are doing! You do have to do 'a little research' though. What I mean by that is, it's not stocked every week. But it is stocked a lot, just pick the weeks they are stocking. It's normally 1,500 pounds a pop, but on a rare occasion it's more. Look no further then the Lake Wohlford press release here on FNN to find that information. With that being said, the next stocking is Jan 3 for 3,000 pounds. Wow put that week on your calendar! (that would be an excellent time to go)

On to the fishing!

For this adventure I had 2 friends with me. (Glenn and Phil) I of course would be captaining the boat for I was there just last Sunday. (I knew where to go already) To say we got a late start was an understatement. We arrived at the lake right at 12 noon, so we didn't have a whole lot of time. (boats have to be back at the dock by 4:30 pm) So by the time we got our permits and boat and unpacked the car, we had 4 hours to catch our limits of 15 trout. (a little tough but doable) As we were loading up the boat, 2 other boats came in with full limits of trout for all passengers. We asked them where they caught them and they said the East Buoy area. (Our area) Last Sunday we caught our limits of trout in the area slightly above the last air ratter and right around it. We were again fishing with Green garlic P/B and power mice dipped in Bite On Garlic juice. For weight a number 5 split shot and a number 16 treble hook. When you fish in that area of the lake, just think your fishing in a small box. From just above the last air ratter from the South bank to the North bank. The key is to drift the boat in the wind and notice where you got bit and keep fishing that area till they stop biting.

There was only a few boats on the lake so watching where other people got bit was useless. But I knew they were around the air ratter, so that's where we started. We started catching them but at a pretty slow pace! After about 2 and half hours we had 7 trout between us. Ok but not that great, so I tried something a little different. If I had all day, I could have ground out limits there but I didn't have that luxury. So I went a little higher up and closer to the South shore. Both my poles got bit and I had a double, then Phil hooked one. 3 fish just like that and then Phil's other pole got bit and he missed it. Ok we found a big group of them! I always look for land marks when I find something special. There is a big rock on the South shore that kinda looks like Plymouth Rock. I caught plenty of fish there before in the last 2 years. But this was the first time this year I tried it. I stayed right in line with it and it was party down. Too bad Glenn's friend just left, they could have gotten in some of this action. In short order we were all limited out for the 3 of us. I wanted to try for some catfish, but Glenn didn't bring anything warm to wear and it was starting to get cold. So we called it a day!

The next stocking won't be til Jan 3, so next week I'll be trying something different. Now it's my turn to be the new kid on the block. I'm going to try a lake I've never fished trout there before. So my results will probably be less then stellar! lol But that's how you learn a new lake. You can bet your sweet be too tee, I'll be going back to Lake Wohlford the week of Jan 3!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 12-17-2018 at 05:59 PM.

I haven’t had a chance to write up a report yet but I was able to squeeze a day off work last Friday and on a whim my buddy and I headed out to Wohlford. Arrived 6 am and anchored up at boat dock cove while we set up our rods. Tossed two lines out with pink and white mice tails and we had 4 trout each trout by 7:30. Didn’t want to call it a limit so headed out to the east buoys to try your drifting technique. I caught a few real quick on a mini jig lip hooked that were safely released never taken out of the water. There was one other boat in the area anchored right next to the air raters but I didn’t pay attention if they caught anything. One other boat was just doing laps back and forth across the lake....I assume trolling but they were moving pretty quick.

Bite slowed down on the mini jigs so we set a drift along the south shoreline. Both of us got bit pretty quickly on the mice tail but they were both gut hooked so that put us at limits for the day. Off the water by 11. Was tempted to use trout guts for catfish bait so we could keep fishing but wasn’t sure if it was legal or not. What day did you end up going etucker?

Oh. The size of all our trout were pretty disappointing compared to prior years. One of my trout was like a 1/2 pounder and the others were probably barely over a pound each.

Quote Originally Posted by gokuguy View Post
    I haven’t had a chance to write up a report yet but I was able to squeeze a day off work last Friday and on a whim my buddy and I headed out to Wohlford. Arrived 6 am and anchored up at boat dock cove while we set up our rods. Tossed two lines out with pink and white mice tails and we had 4 trout each trout by 7:30. Didn’t want to call it a limit so headed out to the east buoys to try your drifting technique. I caught a few real quick on a mini jig lip hooked that were safely released never taken out of the water. There was one other boat in the area anchored right next to the air raters but I didn’t pay attention if they caught anything. One other boat was just doing laps back and forth across the lake....I assume trolling but they were moving pretty quick.

Bite slowed down on the mini jigs so we set a drift along the south shoreline. Both of us got bit pretty quickly on the mice tail but they were both gut hooked so that put us at limits for the day. Off the water by 11. Was tempted to use trout guts for catfish bait so we could keep fishing but wasn’t sure if it was legal or not. What day did you end up going etucker?

Oh. The size of all our trout were pretty disappointing compared to prior years. One of my trout was like a 1/2 pounder and the others were probably barely over a pound each.
    We were there Friday. The size so far has been a little disappointing, I'm hoping with the next stock being 3,000 pounds they will get back to being bigger fish. You can legally fish for catfish after you limit out on trout. The catfish we caught opening weekend were close to shore by the West buoys to just past the first air ratter down there. (drifting of course)