Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Fishing License

Default Fishing License

My son turns 16 on December 20th and wants to go fishing with me. I am also fishing twice in the next couple of days after that. Also going on January 2nd does that mean I have to buy my son two fishing license in a week? One for this year and another for 2019, That Sucks

I would never counsel somebody to openly break the law. But if it was me, I would go out and buy myself and my son our 2019 fishing licenses now (It's been a family tradition around my house for decades - those of us that fish get our licenses for Christmas). My guess would be (and it's only a guess) that in the rare possibility that you would get checked, and assuming that you do not fail the "attitude test" and don't have a cooler full of shorts/overlimits/cans of corn/pails of live goldfish in your possession, I would hope that any decent "boots in the field" warden would take everything into consideration and say "Happy Holidays". Or you could of course always just do away with the stress and worry (no fun fishing if you are always looking over your shoulder - I have a guilty conscience) and buy a "1 day" type license for your son.
    I will say - in my past one time I forgot my license, and since I have that "guilty conscience" I ponied up the $$ for a temporary at the landing. And lo and behold, got checked at the end of the day. That was well spent money.
    Also, on a different path, and while this is 100% outside the letter of the law, I do have a buddy who keeps a closeup photo of his license on his phone (barcode and all) just in case. His attitude is that while he may forget his license (they don't hold up well in the wallet all year) most of us are NEVER without our phones. And I would have to guess that it will eventually go that way anyway, after all I board airplanes every couple of weeks with nothing more than my phone and a drivers license.

Great advice, but a one day license, doesn't work because we are doing 3 awesome trips in December
    Last edited by sodapop; 12-12-2018 at 09:58 PM.

Just something to consider, look into and consider a Lifetime License. I bought mine long enough ago, that it has paid for itself. Also, a Life Time License would be a good Xmass present for son, if he seems to be a life time fisherman. Not cheap at the time, but cheap over time.

Quote Originally Posted by eah View Post
    Just something to consider, look into and consider a Lifetime License. I bought mine long enough ago, that it has paid for itself. Also, a Life Time License would be a good Xmass present for son, if he seems to be a life time fisherman. Not cheap at the time, but cheap over time.
    I regret not doing this when I was 16.

(Then again, I would've had to mow a lot of lawns to pony up the $600 it was back in the day.)

I'm not a mathemagician, but I assume I've paid more than $600 getting year to year licenses like I've been doing since then.

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
    My son turns 16 on December 20th and wants to go fishing with me. I am also fishing twice in the next couple of days after that. Also going on January 2nd does that mean I have to buy my son two fishing license in a week? One for this year and another for 2019, That Sucks
    Yes. Unless you want to chance it

For the 1st time in 20 years, I got checked at Lake Skinner a couple of weeks ago. I was very glad I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by NFCD I View Post
    For the 1st time in 20 years, I got checked at Lake Skinner a couple of weeks ago. I was very glad I had it.
    In the 30+ years I've been fishing, I've been checked five times.

3 of them were at Lake Barrett. Because you know, the fisherman who just ponied up $100 plus Ticketmaster surcharges isn't going to have his license.