Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contributions to this forum are way down.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp View Post
    Fair enough but then we absolutely need catfish plants during summer and REAL trout plants during winter. There used to be plentiful fishing within city limits for multiple weeks after the plants. All year long you could take the kids out and catch something. These past few years I've watched the truck pull up and put in just a few netfuls of trout. This year even the cormorants didn't bother showing up.
    That's so true! However, if you scratch your head real hard and think! There is still some good opportunity's in the parks. For example this past weekend they planted 2,500 pounds of trout in Irvine Regional park! Or the famous kids catfish derby's and Orange county park plants of trout and catfish. There is still some opportunity's available but you have to dig the information out!

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    I post my friends YouTube videos on here. Here a picture of a place I went hunting a few weeks ago and old pudd fisher it was with James from the district. Sorry if they are not facing the right way
    James is a good man say hi for me.

Quote Originally Posted by old pudd fisher View Post
    That's so true Viejo things sure are different now days. Its like you said not enough rain and fires have not been good for SoCal fishing the past few years and I also agree with Temps reply to this thread, it seems that the city park fish plants have been a bit small if any now days the pudd has not been stocked in years.

Here's a bit of contribution . Not fishing but interesting. I think you will enjoy. Border madness is a softball tourney we did that weekend. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kVY5qsiC_E&t=6s

Quote Originally Posted by old pudd fisher View Post
    James is a good man say hi for me.
    I told him he told me to say hi back. He just got a doe a few weeks ago in azusa canyon area with his bow

Lot of good points and Carp Angler hit on really how the changing demographic of how younger folks get/disseminate/follow information is changing has probably affected this forum. Bu some of it also HAS to be numbers. Bottom line - every year the DFW reports fewer and fewer license sales (and yet they keep increasing the price - don't get me started! Clearly nobody in our State Government understands High School level "Supply and Demand" curves. But then again maybe they do and it is all a sinister plot to actually eliminate fishing and hunting in this state...OK I said it). Fewer people involved, us Old Guys fading away (taking our money and moving away!), all could contribute to less participation. I am personally puzzled at what was an annual tradition at my house - the Rancho Jurupa Trout derby. Okay, so you are shoulder/shoulder fishing for hatchery fish in basically a pond. But it was FUN. Saw the same people year after year. Campground sold out. All the fishing spots sold out. Everybody getting along in close quarters having a good time. And last year - nothing. When I inquired, it was "We don't have the money". While I never saw their books I am puzzled as to how you can fill a campground to 100%, have a huge influx of "day use" on top of that, charge substantial additional fees for the event, and then...not walk away breaking even or with a tidy profit. Outside of the normal fixed expenses of running a park (which normally would not be at capacity) the only variables I would see would be fish, and extra labor/staff. I don't get it...
    And for all those folks out there that think giving up your "secret spot", "hot numbers", or "new technique" will result in getting fished out - uhhh, no. It's a little bit like the old joke about the two guys that have a great day, so one of them paints a giant "X" on the side of the boat "so we can find this spot again". There are so many variables. And so many times I have been fishing alongside or in the same boat with someone, using the same techniques in the same spots, and one of us is killing it while the other guy is skunk city. It's all in the tiny details. That's why you see pro guys like Pete give pretty detailed reports - they know that getting fish is tough even if you know where to look. And hey, I can tell you where that kelp paddy was today (or even on the radio at the time) but if you think it is going to be there tomorrow or even this afternoon, or holding the same school of fish if you find it for that matter...

My two cents: I also think something that contributes to lack of post is this,imagine a new angler young or old.
    He or she is just getting into fishing and is truly excited about a first or near first fishing experience. So he goes on this site and excitedly post his report,in a couple of days he or she checks the site hoping to see comments and encouragement from other members,what does he or she see? Views 88 reply’s 0,I’m not saying it happens every time but trust me it happens plenty of times,that young angler is probably not gone post again,here anyway.
    I’m 66yrs old and don’t as much as I’d like to these days,but I truly enjoy this site,and always try to comment something positive on most everyone’s report,so if we want more reports,maybe we need to add some more support!

Cya Tuna Vic

A lot of good points.

Perhaps the fisheries in California (especially the southern part) are suffering so bad that it's hard to report when you haven't caught anything.

When nobody catches anything, people stop fishing. People stop fishing means the DFW has less revenue in licenses. It's kinda like the chicken and the egg.

As many said, social media has changed things. Now people can humblebrag and become 'brand ambassadors' by catching a large fish on a Senko and then taking a picture with some other lure in the mouth. Suddenly you have your own TV show.

I prefer the good ole days, where your tight circle knows of hot bites, patterns and techniques.

I blame fishbrain. There is no lack of anglers, actually see a lot more every year. I don't use it but I always see someone using it or mention it out at the lake. Why post on here when you can display your catch instantly on an app. They even take pics of and report other people's catches, it's like a paparazzi sometimes. I now do a quick release if anyone else is around. Nothing like having a stranger take a dink from your hand to take pics of it and probably report as their own catch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12