Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contributions to this forum are way down.

Default Contributions to this forum are way down.

What happened? It used to be such a good source of information. Especially since the papers no longer print a fishing report we can use as much as we can get. Jim Matthews no longer compiles a report because he can't get funded via the local rags.

Daily Press has his reports on Thursday.

Default Contributing

I fish twice weekly ocean and lakes . I use a kayak in the ocean , shore fish in fresh water
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A9725F2D-134F-4CDC-B9AC-1BEE7D583F53.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	51732  

Let me start naming a few of the reasons in no special order.

1. Lakes closed or fishing went South. (DVL Stripers for example) or (most of the local pay lakes closed)

2. Good reporters had the ego's the size of Texas. (the website wasn't big enough for all of them)

3. Arthur is no longer Full time on here.

4. Facebook

5. People get bored over time.

6. Tough crowd (people don't like criticism)

7. Obama is no longer President and Trump is!

That's just to name a few and this kind of Forum isn't as popular as it once was because their is too many other Social media outlet's to choose from.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 12-11-2018 at 09:41 AM.

Add to etucker's list, people being secretive about fishing. For some people, it's a resource competition thing. They find a good spot, and are afraid that if too many other people know about it, a bunch of people will go fishing there, using the same techniques, and "ruin it."

6. Default

eTucker named most of them.

The #1 issue is changing demographics for sharing information online---forums and message boards used to be IT. However, within the last couple of years sharing of reports is basically all through Facebook, FishBrain (app), and Instagram.
    Having to login and post reports is just too old school for folks.
    It's a shame --- I find a message board like FNN MUCH more useful when it comes to research and learning about new locations. Facebook Groups can't replace that for me.

Another issue that the OP hinted at is the lack of fishing interest in SoCal. While we have many anglers, we don't have the fishing culture that I see in the Pacific NW, Florida, etc that can support large fishing publications, regular reports, etc. Fishing/Hunting in SoCal seems to be relegated to 3rd place at best (although the SDFish guys are still doing a decent job)
    Last edited by carpanglerdude; 12-11-2018 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Add to etucker's list, people being secretive about fishing. For some people, it's a resource competition thing. They find a good spot, and are afraid that if too many other people know about it, a bunch of people will go fishing there, using the same techniques, and "ruin it."
    Major reason is exactly what you said. I remember being able to get ABs on any rock from Huntington down to San Diego at low tide and catch big WSB in the surf and be able to free dive for Lobster just beyond the surf. The days of catching a 15 inch wild trout in our mountains are pretty much gone the way of the Grizzly bear. Too many fires....not enough consistent rain and then when we get it....creek scouring deluges that strip everything living from the creek bed. Thirty million people live in SoCal and they all want to recreate....catch fish and play in the snow. Things are just different now.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    Major reason is exactly what you said. I remember being able to get ABs on any rock from Huntington down to San Diego at low tide and catch big WSB in the surf and be able to free dive for Lobster just beyond the surf. The days of catching a 15 inch wild trout in our mountains are pretty much gone the way of the Grizzly bear. Too many fires....not enough consistent rain and then when we get it....creek scouring deluges that strip everything living from the creek bed. Thirty million people live in SoCal and they all want to recreate....catch fish and play in the snow. Things are just different now.
    Fair enough but then we absolutely need catfish plants during summer and REAL trout plants during winter. There used to be plentiful fishing within city limits for multiple weeks after the plants. All year long you could take the kids out and catch something. These past few years I've watched the truck pull up and put in just a few netfuls of trout. This year even the cormorants didn't bother showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    That's so true Viejo things sure are different now days. Its like you said not enough rain and fires have not been good for SoCal fishing the past few years and I also agree with Temps reply to this thread, it seems that the city park fish plants have been a bit small if any now days the pudd has not been stocked in years.

I post my friends YouTube videos on here. Here a picture of a place I went hunting a few weeks ago and old pudd fisher it was with James from the district. Sorry if they are not facing the right way
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E003FE0A-C4E6-42B5-922C-590215135F3E.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	51734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4AC1F818-932E-441A-B6BF-87C403BD936D.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	51735  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast