Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jackson Hole Wyoming Advice

Default Jackson Hole Wyoming Advice

Sup fellow fishin peeps, as the title implies, im looking for ANY advice on the jackson hole area. I've never been there, but I may tag along with a buddy, as he has to work out there in the beginning of January. Ill be set up with a 3wt & 5wt rod along with waders, bib's and numerous handwarmers...thanks in advance

cheers!!

I was there for a couple of days around the end of July and beginning of August, part of a longer trip with my wife. I didn't do a report about the trip, but I do have information about it obviously. Jackson is very expensive; I hope you don't have to stay in a motel. We would have been there longer if it weren't so expensive.

Grand Teton National Park is beautiful and full of wildlife and Yellowstone is just to the north; however, it will be very cold and snowy in January, obviously.

The only place where I had any luck fishing around there was at the outlet of Jackson Lake on the Snake River. You can fish up to 150 feet below the dam, and there is a great glory hole there and tailwaters, full of Snake River Cutthroats, and even some Lake Trout. I tried the Snake River above Jackson Lake too. There were many fly fisher people and other fishers there, and nobody seemed to be catching anything (same deal in Yellowstone itself when we drove through there).

There is a place farther downriver from the Jackson Lake tailwaters called the Oxbow, which is practically a pond and fish could be seen surfacing there, but I couldn't get any hits. We also went to String Lake, which was beautiful and seemed fishy, but I didn't fish there. Anyway, there is supposed to be good fishing in Leigh, Jenny and String Lakes which are all in the same area. Another lake I would like to fish next time would be Lower Slide Lake on the Gros Ventre River. I don't know if these lakes are accessible in the winter, but I think the Snake River is. I hope this helps. I have information about some other areas, such as the Pinedale, WY area or Heber City, Utah area too.

Quote Originally Posted by Piss on Myspace View Post
    Sup fellow fishin peeps, as the title implies, im looking for ANY advice on the jackson hole area. I've never been there, but I may tag along with a buddy, as he has to work out there in the beginning of January. Ill be set up with a 3wt & 5wt rod along with waders, bib's and numerous handwarmers...thanks in advance

cheers!!
    January in Jackson Hole? Bring your skis instead of your flyrods. Fishing season is closed, the creeks and lakes are iced over. A flyrod will do you no good in January. Ice fishing at best if you have any of that kind of gear.

John
    Last edited by John Harper; 12-03-2018 at 07:44 AM.

Make sure you plan on taking a lot of pictures. The Tetons mountains were the prettiest mountain range I ever saw. Look for the cigar store Indian sleeping on his back! lol

No, the Snake River and Jackson Lake are open year around. Some of the other spots are closed to fishing in the winter, though. You need to check the regulations carefully. Jackson Lake reportedly has good ice fishing, mostly for Lake Trout, but I have never fished it. I think the best access is at Colter Bay. I figured it might be difficult to reach the fish from shore in the summer, but you can go out to where the fish are on the ice in the winter. Also, all Cutthroats are catch and release only from December through March. I am not sure of the reason for that, but many of the streams don't open until August 1 to let the Cutthroats spawn.

You're definitely going to have limitations due to the ice and snow. A lot of dirt roads that usually get you into some fantastic water during the other parts of the year are snowed out and they aren't plowed, obviously. Boat ramps are also not plowed and getting through snow fields can be a pain. And I'd definitely also check the winter regulations for Wyoming as many areas are closed for winter. Your only options as far as rivers that are year around are The Snake, The South Fork and the Henry's Fork.

A 3 weight might be a tad too light for these waters, and I'd suggest a 5 wt or something a tad heavier if you're into chucking streamers.

Keep in mind that Henry's Fork and the South Fork of the Snake are in Idaho. I was only thinking of Wyoming, especially areas around Jackson, Wyoming.

Yeah, I had a real problem with the dirt roads in Wyoming and Idaho especially, given that I drive a Prius which is not a high clearance or 4WD vehicle. There were a lot of places we wanted to go to that we didn't because the roads would be too rough on my car. As it was, I have a crack in the windshield from driving to Ryrie Reservoir in Idaho. A speeding pickup truck on the gravel road passed us going the other direction and kicked up some gravel that hit my car. One piece of the gravel cracked our windshield. Of course this all happened too fast and we didn't see the license plate of the pickup truck. There were a lot of crazy drivers in Idaho. One person kept swerving well off the highway into the center median, making everybody slow down. I was afraid that car was going to crash, but after about 10 miles, a police cruiser safely stopped it.

Most of the roads in Wyoming and Idaho appear to be dirt roads. I find these places rather primitive in that regard. Of course, there are dirt roads in every state, but other states such as Colorado, Utah, Arizona, etc. and of course our own California do a better job of paving most roads. Maybe that is just me. LOL But like I said, the only car I have is a Prius, and I don't enjoy having to repair car damage caused by lousy roads. Anyway, the dirt roads in Wyoming will be closed for the winter. The road along the Snake River is a nice, paved highway, and there is parking just below the dam at Jackson Lake and at Colter Bay, as well as several other places along the way.

There is also a hatchery just north of Jackson that raises Snake River Cutthroat, and I recently read that they have a pond there where people can fish for brood stock fish, for anyone who is interested. I think it's open year around too.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    The Tetons mountains were the prettiest mountain range I ever saw.
    etucker,

Can you tell us how they got their name?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    etucker,

Can you tell us how they got their name?

There is actually 2 of them. (for people who don't know) They are Mountain tops that actually look like cigar store Indians laying on their back. How they got their names I honestly don't know. If someone wants to share that knowledge that would be a good story!

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Keep in mind that Henry's Fork and the South Fork of the Snake are in Idaho. I was only thinking of Wyoming, especially areas around Jackson, Wyoming.

Yeah, I had a real problem with the dirt roads in Wyoming and Idaho especially, given that I drive a Prius which is not a high clearance or 4WD vehicle. There were a lot of places we wanted to go to that we didn't because the roads would be too rough on my car. As it was, I have a crack in the windshield from driving to Ryrie Reservoir in Idaho. A speeding pickup truck on the gravel road passed us going the other direction and kicked up some gravel that hit my car. One piece of the gravel cracked our windshield. Of course this all happened too fast and we didn't see the license plate of the pickup truck. There were a lot of crazy drivers in Idaho. One person kept swerving well off the highway into the center median, making everybody slow down. I was afraid that car was going to crash, but after about 10 miles, a police cruiser safely stopped it.

Most of the roads in Wyoming and Idaho appear to be dirt roads. I find these places rather primitive in that regard. Of course, there are dirt roads in every state, but other states such as Colorado, Utah, Arizona, etc. and of course our own California do a better job of paving most roads. Maybe that is just me. LOL But like I said, the only car I have is a Prius, and I don't enjoy having to repair car damage caused by lousy roads. Anyway, the dirt roads in Wyoming will be closed for the winter. The road along the Snake River is a nice, paved highway, and there is parking just below the dam at Jackson Lake and at Colter Bay, as well as several other places along the way.

There is also a hatchery just north of Jackson that raises Snake River Cutthroat, and I recently read that they have a pond there where people can fish for brood stock fish, for anyone who is interested. I think it's open year around too.
    I've had my share of story's of low to the ground rental cars in the Rocky Mountains. What's that Seal in the back, you want me to share a couple of story's? Ok if you insist! lol

I was hunting Mule Deer in Eastern Montana near a town called Broadous Montana. I flew into Billings Montana and rented a car and headed East. I got the Rental car company to draw me a map on how to get there. (Way before GPS!) The first part of the Journey was ok on roads that resemble a two lane interstate. (I saw Custer's backfield which was cool!) I got about a 50 miles away from the town and all the roads either turned into dirt or gravel. The last 10 miles I was plowing a gravel road because the car was so low to the ground. I made it, thank God for good weather! (it was cold though for it was the first week of Nov)

In Southern Colorado I did hit some bad weather on a dirt road 10 miles from a hunting Ranch. I got the Rental car stuck in the mud in a ditch on the side of the road. I did have a cell phone but if you could guess, "no reception!" I was alone, so I just started to walk the road hoping to find a house with a phone. I saw a house in the distance and walked toward it. When I got there it was abandoned! Oh great, so I made up my mind I was going to walk to the Ranch and hope I didn't freeze to death first. Luckily after only a couple of miles of walking, another group of Deer hunters who were going to the same ranch picked me up in their 4 by 4. The cool part about it was, the rancher pulled my stuck rental car out of the mud with his tractor and put it on the pavement for me!

I could go on with more story's, but I know I already exhausted poor Seal! lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 12-04-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast