Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jackson Hole Wyoming Advice

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I've had my share of story's of low to the ground rental cars in the Rocky Mountains. What's that Seal in the back, you want me to share a couple of story's? Ok if you insist! lol

I was hunting Mule Deer in Eastern Montana near a town called Broadous Montana. I flew into Billings Montana and rented a car and headed East. I got the Rental car company to draw me a map on how to get there. (Way before GPS!) The first part of the Journey was ok on roads that resemble a two lane interstate. (I saw Custer's backfield which was cool!) I got about a 50 miles away from the town and all the roads either turned into dirt or gravel. The last 10 miles I was plowing a gravel road because the car was so low to the ground. I made it, thank God for good weather! (it was cold though for it was the first week of Nov)

In Southern Colorado I did hit some bad weather on a dirt road 10 miles from a hunting Ranch. I got the Rental car stuck in the mud in a ditch on the side of the road. I did have a cell phone but if you could guess, "no reception!" I was alone, so I just started to walk the road hoping to find a house with a phone. I saw a house in the distance and walked toward it. When I got there it was abandoned! Oh great, so I made up my mind I was going to walk to the Ranch and hope I didn't freeze to death first. Luckily after only a couple of miles of walking, another group of Deer hunters who were going to the same ranch picked me up in their 4 by 4. The cool part about it was, the rancher pulled my stuck rental car out of the mud with his tractor and put it on the pavement for me!

I could go on with more story's, but I know I already exhausted poor Seal! lol
    Ah yes, the "joys" of driving country roads.

The Grand Tetons basically means, well, "Large Breasts" in French, as I understand it.

If you are into hunting bring your gun and see what's open for you to shoot. And my sure you get their hunting license

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    The Grand Tetons basically means, well, "Large Breasts" in French, as I understand it.
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Although those may be the most pointiest and jaggedest breasts I've ever seen.

Would still take a selfie with them!

Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated. Lefty and Shadow... BIG thanks to you guys!!!! I definitely feel much more prepared with your provided intel. Thank you for taking the time to respond!! Got some things to consider, but if the weather cooperates & i can swing the time from work, im thinking of heading out. Never caught a laker before and new species of a cutty is reel tempting. Fishing the Snake has been on my bucket list since I jumped the Perrine bridge in Idaho a few years back.

If all lines up, hopefully ill have something to write home about...although it probably wont nearly be as epic as DS's reports. All fish will remain in the water and be released to thank the water deities. Sorry bowler, not a hunter unless it involves a beer, bow and gar/carp. Inbox has been cleared to receive msgs.

...and yes, Im well aware that January will be colder than a witch's "Grand Teton"

You are welcome. Fortunately for you, and me, I was there this past summer. I didn't write a report on it but I figured it would come up sooner or later among out of state topics. As I mentioned, I also have firsthand fishing information on other out of state Rocky Mountain waters in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming, and the Sierras here in CA. I also work and have other responsibilities, and an online group that is my first online priority, so somehow, I never got around to doing a report.

Snake River Cutthroats are lovely fish, and were a highlight of last summer's fishing for me. Regarding Lakers, I would try ice fishing Colter Bay in Jackson Lake, according to online information. There should be other people around there to help with that. I have caught Lakers, in Jefferson Lake in Colorado from shore, in June on Krocodile lures several years ago. I saw others catching them there too. Some of the fish that I saw others catching below the Jackson Lake dam might have been Lakers too, but I was too far away to be sure. However, I did talk to one person there who said that he had caught a good size Laker a little while earlier on a Kastmaster. While I watched him, he caught a Cutthroat using his flyrod. Anyway, Lakers are also a possibility in the Snake River below Jackson Lake, but Cutthroats are much more common than Lakers in the river, while the inverse is probably true in the lake.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 12-08-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    You are welcome. Fortunately for you, and me, I was there this past summer. I didn't write a report on it but I figured it would come up sooner or later among out of state topics. As I mentioned, I also have firsthand fishing information on other out of state Rocky Mountain waters in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming, and the Sierras here in CA. I also work and have other responsibilities, and an online group that is my first online priority, so somehow, I never got around to doing a report.

Snake River Cutthroats are lovely fish, and were a highlight of last summer's fishing for me. Regarding Lakers, I would try ice fishing Colter Bay in Jackson Lake, according to online information. There should be other people around there to help with that. I have caught Lakers, in Jefferson Lake in Colorado from shore, in June on Krocodile lures several years ago. I saw others catching them there too. Some of the fish that I saw others catching below the Jackson Lake dam might have been Lakers too, but I was too far away to be sure. However, I did talk to one person there who said that he had caught a good size Laker a little while earlier on a Kastmaster. While I watched him, he caught a Cutthroat using his flyrod. Anyway, Lakers are also a possibility in the Snake River below Jackson Lake, but Cutthroats are much more common than Lakers in the river, while the inverse is probably true in the lake.
    Much appreciated Lefty!! Apologies for the late response as we all have our obligations. I don't need a report when im getting this kind of 1st hand intel. Thanks again for taking the time and all the detailed info. I frequently travel outta state for work, so i'll be sure to pm ya when i head to the locations. Im still trying to juggle all responsibilities but reading this is definitely making me work a bit harder.

Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12