Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: New fish in the river? - south Parker area

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New fish in the river? - south Parker area

I was out labor day just under Headgate Dam, and I saw something new.

I was wading some shallow mixed mud/pebble/cobble flats with weeds, off to the side, out of the main flow.
    In one of the deeper (3-4') troughs I saw some silver fish rolling around, so I cast my small Rapala out and hooked something for about 1 second. I think I snagged it.
    Fish kept on rolling so i made some more cast for nothing. I stood still for a while and they disappeared, the reappeared a couple feet from me in about 2' of water, gliding along the bottom.
    about 5-6 of them, what looked like bonefish. They breezed around then went back out and started rolling around the surface again. This happened 4 or five times. Every time i had to do a double take.
    Water was shallow and clear and i was wearing polarized glasses.

They were not carp, but they acted like them with the rolling and breezing around in a small group.
    they were silver, slim, much more sleek than a carp, silver with a darker grey back, and had a forked tail. The closest thing i have ever seen like it would be saltwater fish like a bonefish or mullet. they were about 14" long.

They could be freshwater Flathead Grey Mullet, which are listed as being present in the Colorado River. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flathead_grey_mullet

Gizzard Shad?
    They have been recorded upriver

Maybe a grass carp? They're different looking than the common carp. They're silver more sleek and more of a forked tail...

Sure sounds like it could have been a Colorado Pikeminnow (Squawfish). There used to be lots of them in the river, but you don't see too many any more because of lost habitats. Maybe they are making a comeback. They can get quite large too.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    Sure sounds like it could have been a Colorado Pikeminnow (Squawfish). There used to be lots of them in the river, but you don't see too many any more because of lost habitats. Maybe they are making a comeback. They can get quite large too.
    I didn't realize 'minnows' could get that huge. Wow!
    Look like they might be a good sportfish.