Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Trout season in the local park ponds!

Default It's Trout season in the local park ponds!

In checking the DFG website the local park ponds are getting stocked this week with trout. Both LA County and Orange County ponds are to be stocked this week.

In checking one of my local ponds last night, I ran into a very nice newbie fishermen. He asked me if I knew anything about park fishing? I said a little and that probably was the biggest under statement I ever made!

I did bring my catfish stuff with me, in case they hadn't planted any trout yet? (any guesses where this story is going?) They hadn't planted the trout yet, BUT the catfish were biting! They hadn't stocked these things in over 2 months, but when they did, they only bit for a day or two and then went quiet. I thought for sure, their was a bunch in there and I was right!

As I was getting some catfish bites, I was also giving my new friend some solid advice on how to catch a park trout. (I'll share the same advice with you people) You need either #2 or #4 pound test line. Once you have that, you really only need 3 kinds of bait. (so you don't have to break the bank on tackle and bait) Bring some Power bait, either Rainbow or Green and number 16 or 18 size treble hooks. (any weight you want) Bring some mini jigs, white or chartreuse. Fish them straight on your line or attach a bobber. Last but not least a few lures. Spinners or wobblers work really good. My 2 favorites are Panther Martins or Kastmasters. That's it in a nut shell!

Oh I want to finish the story about the catfish. I did catch 4 and C&R all of them! So don't forget these ponds also hold Catfish, Bass and Carp besides the Trout. So good luck and I hope you catch a bunch!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 11-14-2018 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks etucker,hey I had breakfast with your buddy Glenn yesterday,actually I’ve been waiting for the trout stocking to start,I have a couple of friends that have kids and they are always asking me to take them fishing,so the local lake are good training grounds,alright take care!

Cya Tuna Vic

Thanks etucker! Appreciate the heads up. Doing all the research I can now to see how to catch trout now. Using the powerbait, Mice tails and worms. Also got a pack of the trout magnet type jigs.

Using ultra light with 4 lbs test and likely going to use 4lbs leader as well since I can't find 3 lbs anywhere unless I use fluoro.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    In checking the DFG website the local park ponds are getting stocked this week with trout. Both LA County and Orange County ponds are to be stocked this week.

In checking one of my local ponds last night, I ran into a very nice newbie fishermen. He asked me if I knew anything about park fishing? I said a little and that probably was the biggest under statement I ever made!

I did bring my catfish stuff with me, in case they hadn't planted any trout yet? (any guesses where this story is going?) They hadn't planted the trout yet, BUT the catfish were biting! They hadn't stocked these things in over 2 months, but when they did, they only bit for a day or two and then went quiet. I thought for sure, their was a bunch in there and I was right!

As I was getting some catfish bites, I was also giving my new friend some solid advice on how to catch a park trout. (I'll share the same advice with you people) You need either #2 or #4 pound test line. Once you have that, you really only need 3 kinds of bait. (so you don't have to break the bank on tackle and bait) Bring some Power bait, either Rainbow or Green and number 16 or 18 size treble hooks. (any weight you want) Bring some mini jigs, white or chartreuse. Fish them straight on your line or attach a bobber. Last but not least a few lures. Spinners or wobblers work really good. My 2 favorites are Panther Martins or Kastmasters. That's it in a nut shell!

Oh I want to finish the story about the catfish. I did catch 4 and C&R all of them! So don't forget these ponds also hold Catfish, Bass and Carp besides the Trout. So good luck and I hope you catch a bunch!
    It's not green power bait that works, it's chartreuse power bait, green power bait sucks. However great info

Caught 6 at Cerritos on Thomas bouyant.Two at 12 " 4 looked like smelts. More like silver cigars

Did they end up stocking Clark park? Think there is anything at El Dorado left?

How're Cerritos and El Dorado looking nowadays? I'm hoping to get to them (along w/ Alondra) once I get some new gear.
    Last edited by synaptik_1; 04-20-2019 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by synaptik_1 View Post
    How're Cerritos and El Dorado looking nowadays? I'm hoping to get to them (along w/ Alondra) once I get some new gear.
    Trout season in the local parks is over! Catfish season is upon us with Kids derby's and Orange county catfish stocking. I moped up 15 catfish last week after a kids catfish derby. I refused to participate in Combat catfishing at one of the local parks this morning!

Thanks etucker1959 -- I guess I'll be going after catfish this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by synaptik_1 View Post
    Thanks etucker1959 -- I guess I'll be going after catfish this summer.
    Check out the Orange County Regional park web page. It will tell you the stocking weeks at each lake. They are few and far between, but a couple of lakes get decent night time bites that will last for a few weeks. The San Bernadino Regional park lakes get weekly catfish stocking in the summer. Some of them are pretty good, but you do have to pay. Look up my Guasti threads from the last 2 years to get an idea of what you can catch.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 04-20-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast