Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: It's Trout season in the local park ponds!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default It's Trout season in the local park ponds!

In checking the DFG website the local park ponds are getting stocked this week with trout. Both LA County and Orange County ponds are to be stocked this week.

In checking one of my local ponds last night, I ran into a very nice newbie fishermen. He asked me if I knew anything about park fishing? I said a little and that probably was the biggest under statement I ever made!

I did bring my catfish stuff with me, in case they hadn't planted any trout yet? (any guesses where this story is going?) They hadn't planted the trout yet, BUT the catfish were biting! They hadn't stocked these things in over 2 months, but when they did, they only bit for a day or two and then went quiet. I thought for sure, their was a bunch in there and I was right!

As I was getting some catfish bites, I was also giving my new friend some solid advice on how to catch a park trout. (I'll share the same advice with you people) You need either #2 or #4 pound test line. Once you have that, you really only need 3 kinds of bait. (so you don't have to break the bank on tackle and bait) Bring some Power bait, either Rainbow or Green and number 16 or 18 size treble hooks. (any weight you want) Bring some mini jigs, white or chartreuse. Fish them straight on your line or attach a bobber. Last but not least a few lures. Spinners or wobblers work really good. My 2 favorites are Panther Martins or Kastmasters. That's it in a nut shell!

Oh I want to finish the story about the catfish. I did catch 4 and C&R all of them! So don't forget these ponds also hold Catfish, Bass and Carp besides the Trout. So good luck and I hope you catch a bunch!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 11-14-2018 at 11:25 PM.