Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 11-10 LAB run and the ONE that got away

Default 11-10 LAB run and the ONE that got away

Date - Fishing Time: 11/10/18 – 6:30 am – 11:30 am
    Location / Launch Location: Los Alamitos Bay, Mother’s Beach
    Total Fish Caught: 3, 2 Spotted Bay Bass – 1 Halibut!
    Bait Used (No of fish): HUB – Chovy (3)
    Solo session

Water was once again beautiful with very little wind. Traffic in the water was medium with many kayakers and rowers moving through the channel.

Goals - My goal today was to use my new baits and try out my new rod (KastKing Perigee II) along with a visit to my highest catch location thus far. The rod was really great, the location and the baits did not do so well for me.

Report – Caught my first Halibut today, fights a slight lets aggressive but more “heavy” like a catfish maybe? Interesting and of course, still fun. My new baits were getting short bit in the morning hours only, I stuck with them way too long but after 7:30 am or so not more bites were had. I tried everything to get bites throughout the morning: HUB – Mint, Hub – Red Crab, Hub – Sardine Green, Hub - Chovy, DS Matsu, Homemade Keitech Impact swimmers and a gray speckled tube. Was so slow I ended up just getting exercise and paddling in and out of docks and slips to work my legs.

The One That Got Away or The Classic Fish Story – At the end of the day I was peddling back to Mother’s Beach and decided to hang out under the bridge a bit. I caught one of the largest Bay Bass I had ever caught then recast. When the bait hit the bottom my new rod twitched HARD, I set the hook and the rod bent in half and the drag started zipping. Knowing my drag was already set from the last bass I just caught I checked it and it was still set fine. I pulled up again and snap! My entire rig was lost and had snapped at the FG knot. I left deflated knowing that the largest fish I had ever hooked up on was lost and of course a little sad that my last Chovy was in some giants mouth connected to 5’ of fluorocarbon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gopr0619.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	51682

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gopr0618.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	51683

Quote Originally Posted by Alakai View Post
    I left deflated knowing that the largest fish I had ever hooked up on was lost
    Bummer about losing the beast, but alas...............that's what keeps up coming back

Not bad,I had two buddies fishing in kayaks the same day,they both got skunked!In LAB also.

Cya Tuna Vic

Here is the video for my LAB trip. Hope you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Not bad,I had two buddies fishing in kayaks the same day,they both got skunked!In LAB also.

Cya Tuna Vic

You know I saw a few kayakers out in the water for a bit. I was wondering how they were doing. I really want to try it one day

Quote Originally Posted by vdisney View Post
    Bummer about losing the beast, but alas...............that's what keeps up coming back
    So true, very much like golf. Just when you want to take a break you catch something that makes you hungry for more. lol

you might want to take a look at this video regarding tying your FG knots

https://youtu.be/LD1gWbp9zKo