Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mojave Narrows 11/3 - still no trout stockings!

Default Mojave Narrows 11/3 - still no trout stockings!

Hey all, so I saw that the DFW posted that the week of 10/28 there will be a trout stocking up there. My dad and I decided to go check it out. Upon getting there the guy at the gate said there wasn't a stocking after all and there won't be any until end of the month! So beware if you're going based off of the DFW site or the phone recordings.

Either way we decided to stay and give it a shot. We had some shrimp with us so we were going for cats. Oddly enough my dad caught 2 nice sized cats on rainbow powerbait! I've never seen that.. I thought the first was a fluke but for a second to bite too? That was crazy.. after a bit I hooked up on a big cat on the shrimp. I was on light tackle so it was quite a fight!

Another fisherman gave us his 1 cat he hooked up on shrimp with so that brought our total to 4. I was surprised how big these were! Check out the picsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20181106_202110.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	51668!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1103181701.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	51667  

Water temp has got be lower to substain the fish

For what ever reason the catfish they stock in the San Bernadino county parks like Power bait! I caught over 50 of them in the last 2 years on Power bait at Guasti!

Quote Originally Posted by aramirez1988 View Post
    Hey all, so I saw that the DFW posted that the week of 10/28 there will be a trout stocking up there. My dad and I decided to go check it out. Upon getting there the guy at the gate said there wasn't a stocking after all and there won't be any until end of the month! So beware if you're going based off of the DFW site or the phone recordings.

Either way we decided to stay and give it a shot. We had some shrimp with us so we were going for cats. Oddly enough my dad caught 2 nice sized cats on rainbow powerbait! I've never seen that.. I thought the first was a fluke but for a second to bite too? That was crazy.. after a bit I hooked up on a big cat on the shrimp. I was on light tackle so it was quite a fight!

Another fisherman gave us his 1 cat he hooked up on shrimp with so that brought our total to 4. I was surprised how big these were! Check out the picsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20181106_202110.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	51668!
    Thanks for the report , I like that place but the last time I was there was years ago. Those are some nice cats and the trout can be good also in the winter months if they stock it.

They probably feed the catfish at the hatchery with stuff that tastes like Power Bait, so the catfish think it's regular food. I read that Power Bait is designed to taste like hatchery food, which is why hatchery trout like it but wild trout usually don't.

Well channel catfish don’t eat off the bottom. They like there food Suspended. That’s why the m&m combo is deadly. And some pb has the garlic scent already in it.

It's better to fish after the San Bernardino county stockings than the DFG.

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
    It's better to fish after the San Bernardino county stockings than the DFG.
    Not really if you know what lakes that get stocked Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EBA24E40-2B85-44B2-A9A7-F10DCB929E55.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	51680

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    Not really if you know what lakes that get stocked Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EBA24E40-2B85-44B2-A9A7-F10DCB929E55.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	51680
    I've done my fair share of trout tasting in my career. What lakes are good after an DFG stocking? (please no Sierra lakes or Silverwood)
    Last edited by etucker1959; 11-09-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I've done my fair share of trout tasting in my career. What lakes are good after an DFG stocking? (please no Sierra lakes or Silverwood)
    It’s not a dfg plant. Plus you know what lakes are good this time of the year we have on my video fishing at one. The fish in my post is from a San Bernardino lake caught last weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast