I realize that all things are very seldom every equal.

But for the sake of discussion, consider that all things are equal: Size 1000 reel, 2 lbs mono, and 1/32nd ounce minijig (which is usually actually more 1/20th oz after you include the tube itself - and the jig heads are not accurately 1/32nd either.)

What length rods will give you the longest cast? I see some who think that they longer the further. That is true to an extent but there is a point of negative return. For example, I believe that a 8 feet rod actually casts less distance than the 7 feet rod with UL jigs because the jigs are so light that they do not counter the extra friction of the extra guides well. Also, the rod need to settle quickly rather than bounce about which also reduce casting distance.

I've not tested 6 feet long rods but currently my guess for longest casting distance with minijig is probably about 6' 6" to 7' long.

With fluoro, and using my foot pacing for distance, I cast about 65 feet. That's shorter than I anticipated though I do have a friend who is a pure minijig enthusiast and routinely catch 5 pounders in the Sierras. I think he casts about 60 feet so I am in the ball park. His rod though is an Loomis that is less than 6 feet.

love to hear your thoughts.

UL