Okay so lots of good things going on at Lake Perris right now..
The threadfin Shad spawn that was happening in September and the early part of October is over... The water temperature has come down about 5 degrees, the nights are getting colder and longer, and a lot of the Shad are starting to head deep..
Yes the Delta smelt as I call them are still in shallow water and are getting smashed by the 1 and 2 year old bass but the threadfin have come off the bank into deeper water... And the good bass have followed in the numbers...
Before anybody jumps on me and says no way man you're wrong I just caught a 4 lber in 5 feet of water, you're right there are still good bass shallow but I'm talking about overall numbers.
the bass are beginning their transition from their fall patterns to their winter patterns.. as I've caught fish recently in 6ft water all the way out to 48 ft the water.

I'm expecting this winter to be a little bit different then any recent winter in memory. And the reason for that is because of the water level AND pending incoming water schedule..
There will definitely be fish in 40 to 55 foot maybe even 60 foot...but I also think there will be a bunch of fish in the Deep trees in 33-38 ft.

As for the moment there are tons of fish between 23 and 28ft in deep trees... And the Threadfin are scattered through out 10- 45 ft..
With the vast majority of them between 24-45..
I concentrate more on the movements of the threadfin more than the silversides or the Delta smelt because whether you know it or not the threadfin shad are where it's at, especially this time of year when looking for quality...
If you find the threadfin Shad in 35 to 45 ft right now you'll find nice bass around them and whether you know it or not you have found the juice... so it's worth it to work those areas a little longer because you have found the goods..
I'm not trying to deter anybody away from the shallow bite because there are tons of small fish to be caught overall in the shallower water....
All I'm saying is that if the bigger models are something you're looking for then you simply need to look a little deeper..
Right now at Perris you can literally catch fish on drop-shot, split shot, Carolina rig, reaction baits like Alabama rigs, crankbaits, tailspins, flys, topwaters, spoons, ice jigs, jerkbaits, senkos, double fluke rigs, ... You name it.. there's a little bit of everything working.. some things more than others some depths more than others and some size fish more than others.. but the bass are definitely on the move.