Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perris report... Change is in the air..

Default Perris report... Change is in the air..

Okay so lots of good things going on at Lake Perris right now..
    The threadfin Shad spawn that was happening in September and the early part of October is over... The water temperature has come down about 5 degrees, the nights are getting colder and longer, and a lot of the Shad are starting to head deep..
    Yes the Delta smelt as I call them are still in shallow water and are getting smashed by the 1 and 2 year old bass but the threadfin have come off the bank into deeper water... And the good bass have followed in the numbers...
    Before anybody jumps on me and says no way man you're wrong I just caught a 4 lber in 5 feet of water, you're right there are still good bass shallow but I'm talking about overall numbers.
    the bass are beginning their transition from their fall patterns to their winter patterns.. as I've caught fish recently in 6ft water all the way out to 48 ft the water.

I'm expecting this winter to be a little bit different then any recent winter in memory. And the reason for that is because of the water level AND pending incoming water schedule..
    There will definitely be fish in 40 to 55 foot maybe even 60 foot...but I also think there will be a bunch of fish in the Deep trees in 33-38 ft.

As for the moment there are tons of fish between 23 and 28ft in deep trees... And the Threadfin are scattered through out 10- 45 ft..
    With the vast majority of them between 24-45..
    I concentrate more on the movements of the threadfin more than the silversides or the Delta smelt because whether you know it or not the threadfin shad are where it's at, especially this time of year when looking for quality...
    If you find the threadfin Shad in 35 to 45 ft right now you'll find nice bass around them and whether you know it or not you have found the juice... so it's worth it to work those areas a little longer because you have found the goods..
    I'm not trying to deter anybody away from the shallow bite because there are tons of small fish to be caught overall in the shallower water....
    All I'm saying is that if the bigger models are something you're looking for then you simply need to look a little deeper..
    Right now at Perris you can literally catch fish on drop-shot, split shot, Carolina rig, reaction baits like Alabama rigs, crankbaits, tailspins, flys, topwaters, spoons, ice jigs, jerkbaits, senkos, double fluke rigs, ... You name it.. there's a little bit of everything working.. some things more than others some depths more than others and some size fish more than others.. but the bass are definitely on the move.

Thanks, Pete.

Thanks for the nice bass report Pete, but as you know , I'm more of an ultralight panfish guy there at the lake. I'm hoping that the crappie will finally have some decent places to spawn, in all the flooded trees and brush. Sounds like there is plenty of food for them. There are some very large Black Crappie in Perris, it's just hard to find them. Maybe now things will change. The Florida Bluegill and Redears should also have no problems feeding, spawning and growing to above average sizes. We release all large Bluegill. Redears and Crappie anyways. (Bass also, that's a no-brainer)

Nice report Pete!

Was wondering what conclusion you've come to on the larger ladies and their habits. The depths you mention make me believe that they are still hanging out around or close to their haunting grounds when the water was at it's low level. I'm sure they're exploring new territories to haunt but are somewhat hesitant still to call them home. I'm envisioning the areas I caught bass in last December that were only in the 4-8ft depth range as the areas you are stating.

As for the little guys yep they're out there closer to shore. I did a quick 1hr shore fish the other evening down by the PWC ramp more towards the point and wound up catching 2 of them. I was standing on the storm drain throwing a Warpig and caught 1 that was around 1lb or so. Nothing exciting but I at least popped the cherry on my Mojo Glass crankbait rod. Catching a small feisty one was a plus as they're the ones that usually throw or pull the hook on the other rod I was using for my lipless baits. I mainly went to try out the whopper ploppers that I got delivered earlier in the day. I've never thrown them and was wondering how they looked and sounded in the water in real life. I was throwing a 90 and wound up hooking catching a rather small bass about 10ft from shore that looked to be about the same length as the 90 with the rear hook extended. Silly little fish.

Anyways thanks for the report and may the bass fishing gods reward you for your efforts!

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    Thanks for the nice bass report Pete, but as you know , I'm more of an ultralight panfish guy there at the lake. I'm hoping that the crappie will finally have some decent places to spawn, in all the flooded trees and brush. Sounds like there is plenty of food for them. There are some very large Black Crappie in Perris, it's just hard to find them. Maybe now things will change. The Florida Bluegill and Redears should also have no problems feeding, spawning and growing to above average sizes. We release all large Bluegill. Redears and Crappie anyways. (Bass also, that's a no-brainer)
    If you want Big bluegill. The NW corner of the island in 10-20 feet. They were hitting the small swimbaits for bass. If you target them you’ll smash them.

Pete
    Your report is money my friend!
    Keep up the slaydays!

The big fish are kind of spread all out and that's why it's kind of hard to Target them specifically but I do think that the majority of the Real Big Fish between probably 6 to 10 lb are in the deepest brush between 24 and 30 foot it's just so thick there that they have no reason to leave because they don't feel threatened they don't get a lot of fishing pressure there's a ton of bait including bluegill.. also the water temperature is comfortable for them so being in that deep brush they really feel safe..I think eventually here when the water cools down they will head to deep water like normal out past 35 to 45 foot but for now they're perfectly happy staying in that deep brush and eaten what nature gives them rather than chasing down other baits..
    Parts of me hope that they stick around in that deep brush come winter even though I don't think they will.. but if they do they will start to position themselves just inside the brush and they will be suckers for a deep crank bite this winter... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Pete Marino; 10-30-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Pete,

you really know your stuff...no doubt about it. Brent, thanks for the heads up on the gills. I havnet been to perris for a while, but

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRod View Post
    Pete,

you really know your stuff...no doubt about it. Brent, thanks for the heads up on the gills. I havnet been to perris for a while, but
    Hey Rod
    Good to see you on here again.
    Pete is obviously THE man for bass is at Perris and gives great information to let you find them for yourself.
    As for the gills. I just know where they were attacking small profile baits very aggressively . I hope it helps. Trying to get another weekend warrior shot at it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Hey Rod
    Good to see you on here again.
    Pete is obviously THE man for bass is at Perris and gives great information to let you find them for yourself.
    As for the gills. I just know where they were attacking small profile baits very aggressively . I hope it helps. Trying to get another weekend warrior shot at it this weekend.
    I check in FNN from time to time, but not a lot of action in the Perris section and DVL is even worse. Good to see some neat intel again. Or at least enough to get the interest up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast