Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: MYSTERY STRIKE! Any Ideas?

Default MYSTERY STRIKE! Any Ideas?

This Was At The Entrance To Pearl Harbor In Hawaii!

This happen casting off "Broken Pier" at the entrance to Pearl Harbor on Oahu. I dozed off & got a strike on my Okuma 11" Cedros Surf with a Azores 65 Spinner on it. Took me 20sec to get to my rig. I could feel it "bouncing" off the bottom before it spit the hook. The leader & lead line was scratched-up. Could've been anything from a large eel to a turtle. Knowing this area also could've been a ray, shark or small GT.

When the line first when "pook", i thought i lost it. Then i could feel it pulling slowly like it was turning around something. Then it pulled hard & the line got hung-up. After a good pull i felt the lead bouncing on the bottom getting stuck a few times. Because of the feel & the fact it stayed on the bottom i really think i may have hooked a large eel that was going from structure to structure trying to dislodge the hook. A ray or shark would just keep swimming.

Then latter on 2 piles of baitfish broke the surface near where i first threw the squid bait. There was definitely fish around. This is just a fun video looking at what we anglers sometimes have to go through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FI9SwjGqlc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 8.58.13 PM.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	51552  

Looked like a decent sized biter for sure,it must really be a bummer to hook a turtle there,have you ever hooked one and brought it in? I’ve caught a couple of freshwater ones here,they are called red eared sliders.

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Looked like a decent sized biter for sure,it must really be a bummer to hook a turtle there,have you ever hooked one and brought it in? I’ve caught a couple of freshwater ones here,they are called red eared sliders.

Cya Tuna Vic
    Ive never hooked a turtle, only had the leader line get wrapped around the fins. A quick fix. But i've helped others by pinching in the barb before pulling the hook out.

Scuba Chris... Hey please read and respond (if you want to) to your post about mullet.

Using glass shrimp? Sorry, i'm not getting any email notifications on responces fishmounter. I'll look again.