Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Half-Day local Yellowtail fishing

Default Half-Day local Yellowtail fishing

The first thing I want to say is,"it's about time!" lol For this adventure I'm not going to name the boat because they did a couple of things I didn't like. What is to like is, we've got decent Yellowtail and Bonito fishing just a few miles off of the Long Beach breakwater. (I'll make this short to keep Seal happy!) lol

These are ok size fish, 9-12lbs Yellowtail and 3-6 pound Bonito. They get the boat stopped by trolling for them or drifting on meter marks. Here is the strange part, there were at least 50% of them were taken on surface iron! They will eat bait but the big sardines were crap! I fished bait most of the day and only hooked 2 Yellowtail. Other's who fished Iron hooked 3-5 Yellowtail. (so I was a little behind the curve) We had 31 Yellowtail landed for 28 passengers.

One of the things that got me was the Jackpot. (I don't normally go in them and I know why) They declared at the end of the day, the Jackpot went to the crew! What are they saying? It's rigged! If we don't like the person who going to win the Jackpot, we just declare the Jackpot goes to the crew! Next crew members who ask's me that question, "do you want to enter the Jackpot?" I pity the fool! lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 10-11-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Nice going on the local tails,pretty cool when you can get em that close to home,wtg!

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Nice going on the local tails,pretty cool when you can get em that close to home,wtg!

Cya Tuna Vic
    The close to home part was the novelty of the trip. On my second Yellowtail I got a little excited over a tangle. When the 2nd ticket who knew me said, "it's not like you never caught one of these things before." But he missed the point! We were 2 miles off of the San Pedro lighthouse on a 10-4 Half-day run. It doesn't get any easier then that! (so I wanted to make every fish count!) 2 months ago we caught 28 of these things for 3 people at the Coronado Islands. But you had to get up at 3 in the morning and drive to San Diego. Have a valid Passport and pay $155 dollars to fish. Then be on the boat for the next 13 hours and then drive another 2 hours to get home without any sleep! See why I got a little excited, over the novelty of fishing for Yellowtail the whole time on an 10-4 Half-day boat. I only had to wait 4 years for the opportunity again to present itself! lol So all the people I asked to go with me but declined, because they had to re-primer the jeep. That jeep isn't going anywhere but these Yellowtail will! lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 10-12-2018 at 01:44 PM.

I concur totally!

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    I concur totally!

Cya Tuna Vic
    A buddy of mine just sent me a link to an utube site. Unbeknownst to me someone was filming our trip. Wouldn't you know it, he caught me red handed on film landing maybe the Jackpot Yellowtail that didn't count! lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 10-13-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Nice report
    Going next week with newbies, what do you recommend for Bonita. Did they have anchovies, or was it just sardines. Is surface lures the way to go for bonita, or live bait.

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
    Nice report
    Going next week with newbies, what do you recommend for Bonita. Did they have anchovies, or was it just sardines. Is surface lures the way to go for bonita, or live bait.
    They had both small and terrible large sardines. The Bonito bit the small sardines (anchovy size) just fine. They did bit the small surface iron really well too, so you can't go wrong either way. Check the counts before you book your trip. There is 2 groups of Bonito biting, one off of Newport and the other off of San Pedro. So go where their biting best!

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    The first thing I want to say is,"it's about time!" lol For this adventure I'm not going to name the boat because they did a couple of things I didn't like. What is to like is, we've got decent Yellowtail and Bonito fishing just a few miles off of the Long Beach breakwater. (I'll make this short to keep Seal happy!) lol

These are ok size fish, 9-12lbs Yellowtail and 3-6 pound Bonito. They get the boat stopped by trolling for them or drifting on meter marks. Here is the strange part, there were at least 50% of them were taken on surface iron! They will eat bait but the big sardines were crap! I fished bait most of the day and only hooked 2 Yellowtail. Other's who fished Iron hooked 3-5 Yellowtail. (so I was a little behind the curve) We had 31 Yellowtail landed for 28 passengers.

One of the things that got me was the Jackpot. (I don't normally go in them and I know why) They declared at the end of the day, the Jackpot went to the crew! What are they saying? It's rigged! If we don't like the person who going to win the Jackpot, we just declare the Jackpot goes to the crew! Next crew members who ask's me that question, "do you want to enter the Jackpot?" I pity the fool! lol
    Friday did a half day boat out of Dana Point, and caught Skipjack just outside the habor, love the change up