Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Splitshotting?

Default Splitshotting?

Just wondered if anyone still uses the old method of "splitshotting" for bass? We used to use this method with a Kalin 4 inch ribbon tail finesse worm, a #1 hook and a #7 round split shot on 6 pound line. It was almost like fishing a crank bait or a spinnerbait. Reel it back in with a slow, steady retrieve that got that tail swimming like a minnow. Worked great at most of our lakes, but most of the bass were not giants. What happened to Kalins?

I use the split shot method a lot,actually when i start fishing Texas style and it’s not working I’ll slide the bullet sinker up and I’ll pinch a bb sized split shot and see if that gets any attention,if it does then I’ll just go straight split shot,or a Carolina stopper (the soft plastic type) I’m usually fishing Yamamoto grubs this way.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8C51D568-1C65-4091-A0A4-C7FA688835DA.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	51524

Cya Tuna Vic

Finally I get a reply, after about 70 views from good ole TUNAVIC! Were you into freshwater bass fishing in the 1980s thru 1990 or so? So many guys back then, especially tournament fishermen would get their limits early with this method, which was pretty much replaced with the drop-shot method. I remember many days out on Lake Henshaw in a rental boat and motor fishing the deeper drop offs with a 6" purple "Sportsman's SuperFloat" plastic worm and a large # 7 split shot about a foot up from the worm. Just drifting along, bass would nail them and actually swallow them if you didn't do a quick hook set!

Yes indeed,I started off using that method on golf courses,then lakes like,Legg Lake,Puddingstone Lake a lot,and killed the smallmouth at Cachuma Lake the same way,the pic I showed in my post was a couple of weeks ago at Edlorado Park LB,I’ve fished it at DVL it works well there also but not as much as other methods. Split shoting is the first way I learned to fish LMBs an continues to be one of my go to styles!

Cya Tuna Vic