Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Sight Fishing Walleye + Rod Breaking Fight

1. Default Sight Fishing Walleye + Rod Breaking Fight

Can't believe I got this on video. The walleyes on God's River have a really nice and deep gold colour and fight hard since they are in the fast currents all the time. In this video, a walleye is free swimming in the river and hits my small 2-inch brook trout spoon very close to shore. in the second part of the video, I am fishing 3-mile rapids and trying to get some big brookies while this walleye had other plans and took me in the fast currents and broke my rod.

Great catch!
    A small bit of advice. I know you weren't doing it at the time your rod snapped, but grabbing your rod half way up and pulling hard like that will cause it to break.
    The entire rod is needed to properly absorb the bend and when you grab it, you have now reduced all of the weight to just the end from where you hand is. I know because I snapped one just trying to pull a lure out of a bush from one of my errant casts. Wasn't even pulling that hard, but that's all it took. Especially with some of the light, brittle composite materials used nowadays.
    Keep the awesome videos coming. Reminds me of my youth with my dad when we traveled from Houston to Canada all 9 of us in a crappy station wagon every year. Loved it and still have great memories from those trips.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Great catch!
    A small bit of advice. I know you weren't doing it at the time your rod snapped, but grabbing your rod half way up and pulling hard like that will cause it to break.
    The entire rod is needed to properly absorb the bend and when you grab it, you have now reduced all of the weight to just the end from where you hand is. I know because I snapped one just trying to pull a lure out of a bush from one of my errant casts. Wasn't even pulling that hard, but that's all it took. Especially with some of the light, brittle composite materials used nowadays.
    Keep the awesome videos coming. Reminds me of my youth with my dad when we traveled from Houston to Canada all 9 of us in a crappy station wagon every year. Loved it and still have great memories from those trips.
    Thank you and I now know that was a very weak and flimsy rod and combined with the current It was hard to get that fish back up stream. But I learend my lesson