Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: New to fishing Saltwater on Westcoast

Default New to fishing Saltwater on Westcoast

Hi everyone,
    So my husband and I moved out to Southern California five years ago and we are just getting back into surf fishing. Have been a couple times to Oxnard off 5th street but to be honest we really don’t have a good idea of what to use out here. I fished for years from the surf out East in Ny for Stripers and Bluefish, so am used to bait fishing rather than lures. We have tried squid, worms and some plastics but haven’t even gotten a bite. Can anyone offer us some advice? Would love to catch a Halibut. We did go up north a few weeks back and I caught a barred perch on squid. Are there other baits we should be using and how would I set up out here. Thanks for your help. I have to say even though we have been skunked all three times down here, it still beats a day at work!

Quote Originally Posted by Needaboat View Post
    Hi everyone,
    So my husband and I moved out to Southern California five years ago and we are just getting back into surf fishing. Have been a couple times to Oxnard off 5th street but to be honest we really don’t have a good idea of what to use out here. I fished for years from the surf out East in Ny for Stripers and Bluefish, so am used to bait fishing rather than lures. We have tried squid, worms and some plastics but haven’t even gotten a bite. Can anyone offer us some advice? Would love to catch a Halibut. We did go up north a few weeks back and I caught a barred perch on squid. Are there other baits we should be using and how would I set up out here. Thanks for your help. I have to say even though we have been skunked all three times down here, it still beats a day at work!
    I try to be as helpful as I can to anyone who ask's. Surf fishing is one of the few types of fishing I have no clue on. However, I do know how to dig information out. If the information you receive from fellow FNN ers isn't adequate enough. Might I make a suggestion.

Go back in the Saltwater section here at FNN and read as many story's as you can about surf fishing. A couple of years back there was a lot of reports done on surf fishing, so there should be plenty of good information in there. Fortunately fish don't change their appetites like humans do. If the perch were biting gulp baits a couple of years back. (they probably still are) If dog beach was a good spot to fish awhile back, it's safe to say "it probably still is!"

Good luck in your search and I hope you find success.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-30-2018 at 09:50 PM.

Our family spends a week or so at the beach in Oxnard every year and my nephew and I fish the beach every day. We catch lots of surfperch and some years the yellowfin croaker bite well. We have also caught corbina, spot fin croaker and smelt. By far, the most productive set up is a 2" gulp sandworm (camo is the best color and bloody (red) would be my next choice) fished on a Carolina rig. We use light to medium spinning gear, usually around 10 pound test and I like to use about 2 feet of 6lb fluorocarbon for the leader to a number 4 or 6 baitholder hook. The leader is attached to a swivel above which I use a 3/4 - 1 oz. sliding egg sinker. I also like to place a red or orange glass or plastic bead between the weight and the swivel. When you are rigged and ready scan the beach looking for any signs of structure, dips, trenches, riptides...this would be a good place to start. Cast out as far as you can and retrieve just fast enough to keep your line taut. Try several casts in each place. If you are getting bit close in, target that area, if they are deep, keep casting far out. If your are not getting bit keep moving until you find them! Sand crabs can usually be dug up on the beach and also work with this set up, as do bloodworms. (blood worms are expensive though)
    Sometimes we will throw out a heavy rig with squid on it and have fun pulling in sand sharks and rays...they always draw a crowd on the beach! For the halibut I would recommend throwing a lucky craft, krockodile or swimbait although I have not had much success for them on the beach....yet.
    Hope this helps, good luck out there and yes! Beats a day at work!

Here's a good intro to So Cal surf fishing - Surf-Fishing-for-Halibut-101

The surf fishing articles on here are the best I have seen. What works for me in the surf is the carolina rig with Gulp! 2" sandworms in camo or live sandcrabs. I catch many halibut in the harbors and bays but can't figure out how to catch one from the waves. fishing large baits from the surf will get you many rays and sharks but using whole sardines/anchovies will increase the chances of a halibut but covering water with the right lures gives you much better odds.

Thanks for the help. Headed up to Northern California to do some spear fishing this weekend. Will let you know how I do next time I head out to Oxnard. Hoping to get some good rock fish this weekend. Bummed that Can’t get tags for abalone this year, love them!