Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turtle Problem

Default Turtle Problem

I bought two lighted bobbers at Walmart,
    for my local pond. They are plenty of 10 to 30 lb catfish,I will catch, only want to catch one.
    Problem is I will catch 3 turtles before catching
    a catfish is there away to avoid turtles?
    Last edited by sodapop; 09-28-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Caught one myself last time I went catfishing,,unfortunately they’ll eat from the surface to the bottom,this poor guy was hooked bad so I just had to cut the line off as close as I could,as to how to avoid them I’ll be watching closely to learn any tips!

Cya Tuna Vic

Nope in havasu you can hook 20lber's. Friend of mine caught one in puddingstone about ten pounds took it home and made turtle soup out of it little tough but not bad tasting.

Yeah, I've been having the same problem all over OC. These things are everywhere, and there are tons of them. Frustrating...

A couple of posts to the right locations and the bucket brigade should clean them out for you.
    A lot of them tend to keep and eat just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
    .... is there away to avoid turtles?
    Unfortunately not. You can try fishing barbless, so that when you do hook a turtle, you're not spending time doing dental work on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    A couple of posts to the right locations and the bucket brigade should clean them out for you.
    Brent,

The only problem is that you have irresponsible individuals who sell these baby turtles in the first place.

Then you have the less irresponsible individuals who buy them, not knowing that

1. They make horrible pets.

2. They'll grow fast, but "who cares, I'll just dump it in my local lake when it gets too big."

When Echo Park was drained, they must have found a metric ton worth of these red ear sliders all over the place. And this is considering that when I fished there, there would be 5 to 6 turtles in peoples' buckets, as turtle soup was apparently on the menu that day. Even with the uh, harvest of turtles, you'd catch more of them than the catfish that the DFG stocked.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Unfortunately not. You can try fishing barbless, so that when you do hook a turtle, you're not spending time doing dental work on them.

Brent,

The only problem is that you have irresponsible individuals who sell these baby turtles in the first place.

Then you have the less irresponsible individuals who buy them, not knowing that

1. They make horrible pets.

2. They'll grow fast, but "who cares, I'll just dump it in my local lake when it gets too big."

When Echo Park was drained, they must have found a metric ton worth of these red ear sliders all over the place. And this is considering that when I fished there, there would be 5 to 6 turtles in peoples' buckets, as turtle soup was apparently on the menu that day. Even with the uh, harvest of turtles, you'd catch more of them than the catfish that the DFG stocked.
    Yuuuuuummmmmy! Echo Park Turtle Soup! What could possibly be more delicious or nutritious?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Yuuuuuummmmmy! Echo Park Turtle Soup! What could possibly be more delicious or nutritious?
    Hey, to each their own.

But as Chris Rock once said, "I'll eat a pig's @$s if they cook it right."

Go to almansor court. Millions there. Even the long nose type
    Alhambra sells them as food$20-$30 each among othr types of fish/reptiles, snake gator meat etc

I saw Mitch McConnel stick his head up at Lake Perris. Does that count?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast