Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Storing monofilament line question

Default Storing monofilament line question

It's been about 25 years since I dipped some bait into the ocean. Most of that time I've been at a small lake in the Eastern Sierras. I have 2 partial spools of Ande monofilament line, 20# clear and 15# pink, and 1 spool 10# pink Trilene Big Game line. I was told to store them in a cool dark place. So for the last 25 years they have been sitting in the freezer in the garage. Is the line still good to use for CA central coast shore fishing?

Thanks.

Not too sure how freezing the line will affect it. I wouldn't think 'cool' to mean freezing it.
    For the cost, I'd get rid of the old stuff and re-spool with something less than 25 years old.

Dump it and buy some new line,right now if you fish the salt inshore or off you have a excellent chance of catching a fish of your lifetime,nobody wants to be fighting a fish like that with 25yr old line and having the very likely chance of “dumping” your fish!

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by DarylFY View Post
    It's been about 25 years since I dipped some bait into the ocean. Most of that time I've been at a small lake in the Eastern Sierras. I have 2 partial spools of Ande monofilament line, 20# clear and 15# pink, and 1 spool 10# pink Trilene Big Game line. I was told to store them in a cool dark place. So for the last 25 years they have been sitting in the freezer in the garage. Is the line still good to use for CA central coast shore fishing?

Thanks.
    A spool of 1500 yards of 10lb or 650 yards of 20lb Trilene Big Game is only $6 each at Walmart.

I don't know why you would think of using 25 year old line even if it was stored under optimum conditions when it's that cheap.

Wow, 25 years in your freezer. What else do you have stored in there? Jimmy Hoffa's corpse?

John

I think you could sell that line to some hipsters in Silver Lake or Echo Park.

Just tell them that it's 'vintage' and you'll get as much money to buy 2 spools of brand new line.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    I think you could sell that line to some hipsters in Silver Lake or Echo Park.

Just tell them that it's 'vintage' and you'll get as much money to buy 2 spools of brand new line.
    Too funny because it's true!

Okay. Thanks to those who were helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DarylFY View Post
    Okay. Thanks to those who were helpful.
    A lack of a sense of humor is a sad thing. Lighten up, Francis!

Perhaps you can trade that old line for one on Ebay?

John
    Last edited by John Harper; 10-05-2018 at 01:42 PM.