Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Catalina Freelance - Better late than never

Default Catalina Freelance - Better late than never

Sorry for the late post, been out on vacation and busy.
    Fished the Freelance out of Daveys Locker on Wednesday 19th with 55 of my closest friends.
    The skipper and crew were great and made it easy to deal with the tangles and crowd. Props to the cook as well. Sorry I suck with names.
    First stop off of Avalon we had two 25# yellowtail hit the deck and one was mine. Ended up losing a large jackpot by ounces to the other and only other yellowtail of the day.
    We caught bonita to 6-7 pounds, whitefish, calicos (released) and a couple of rockfish. My wife was shocked how hard the bonita pulled. The dogs got a huge bonita before she could get it in and the look on her face when she pulled up just the head was too funny.
    She handed the rod back to me when I tried to hand her the yellowtail. It was a bit hectic with all of the people and several seals around the boat as well. I had to pull so hard I was surprised that the 20# big game held up and got it to gaff before the dogs got it.
    Had a great time and glad my wife did too and wants to go again. It's a lot easier to get permission if she wants to go.

Tight lines everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Sorry for the late post, been out on vacation and busy.
    Fished the Freelance out of Daveys Locker on Wednesday 19th with 55 of my closest friends.
    The skipper and crew were great and made it easy to deal with the tangles and crowd. Props to the cook as well. Sorry I suck with names.
    First stop off of Avalon we had two 25# yellowtail hit the deck and one was mine. Ended up losing a large jackpot by ounces to the other and only other yellowtail of the day.
    We caught bonita to 6-7 pounds, whitefish, calicos (released) and a couple of rockfish. My wife was shocked how hard the bonita pulled. The dogs got a huge bonita before she could get it in and the look on her face when she pulled up just the head was too funny.
    She handed the rod back to me when I tried to hand her the yellowtail. It was a bit hectic with all of the people and several seals around the boat as well. I had to pull so hard I was surprised that the 20# big game held up and got it to gaff before the dogs got it.
    Had a great time and glad my wife did too and wants to go again. It's a lot easier to get permission if she wants to go.

Tight lines everyone!
    Great report and I'm glad you got a very nice Yellowtail. Did the boat take your picture for the 976-tuna report? (they do that a lot) I was on the El Dorado report a couple of years ago with some decent Yellowfin tuna. I didn't even know they took my picture, till I saw it on there. I wasn't even looking into the camera, so it was a really bad picture!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-23-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Nice going,to bad only two tails,well at least one was yours!

Cya Tuna Vic

Thanks guys.
    I'm not sure if they got a picture or not. I took a couple but they didn't come out very well.
    My wife and son like the bonito better than the yellowtail. Go figure