Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you use a Sabiki rig to catch Shad?

Default Can you use a Sabiki rig to catch Shad?

I know the best informed anglers in California are on FNN. So asking a question on here usually gets the correct answer. I know at certain lakes a dip net is legal to catch shad and and then it's legal to fish with them at that lake. But what about using a Sabiki rig to catch shad and then use them at that same lake. The lake I'm really interested in knowing the answer for is Castaic lake. So I know you people out there know the correct answer to that question.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-14-2018 at 08:48 PM.

We used to use them at Skinner and Castaic. The entire west end of Skinner was filled every morning with guys making bait. But wardens started handing out tickets for snagging. And for the most part we we're snagging most of the shad.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp View Post
    We used to use them at Skinner and Castaic. The entire west end of Skinner was filled every morning with guys making bait. But wardens started handing out tickets for snagging. And for the most part we we're snagging most of the shad.
    Ok just to clarify, the wardens wrote tickets for snagging. If you only kept the lip hooked ones, would you still get a ticket? I assume yes, but just to make sure I did understand you correctly.

It's been debated on here before. If I remember right, the consensus was you can't have that many hooks on one line.

4.05. Bait Fish Capture Methods.
    (a) Approved bait fish may be taken only:

• by hand,
    • with a dip net not exceeding 36 inches ingreatest dimension, excluding handle, or
    • with traps not over three feet in greatest dimension.

(formatting added)
    Last edited by shinbob; 09-15-2018 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    It's been debated on here before. If I remember right, the consensus was you can't have that many hooks on one line.
    That's a point a gentlemen was trying to make, "it's legal if it only has 3 hooks on it." I disagreed, but I wanted to be sure I was right.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-15-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    4.05. Bait Fish Capture Methods.
    (a) Approved bait fish may be taken only:

• by hand,
    • with a dip net not exceeding 36 inches ingreatest dimension, excluding handle, or
    • with traps not over three feet in greatest dimension.

(formatting added)
    Thanks that's great info.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    If you only kept the lip hooked ones, would you still get a ticket?
    Shad eat planktonic organisms and organic debris.

So the people using sabiki rigs are snagging them. And when they are 'lip hooked,' it's because the hook got stuck in their lip, not because they actually willingly 'ate' the sabiki.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Shad eat planktonic organisms and organic debris.

So the people using sabiki rigs are snagging them. And when they are 'lip hooked,' it's because the hook got stuck in their lip, not because they actually willingly 'ate' the sabiki.
    Last time I was at Castaic, saw a guy with a net near the docks getting shad. My question is once you have your shad/bait, how are you setting it up? Sorry for the newb question, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Marky805 View Post
    Last time I was at Castaic, saw a guy with a net near the docks getting shad. My question is once you have your shad/bait, how are you setting it up? Sorry for the newb question, just curious.
    I'll give you a simple way to fish for green bass with live shad. A live bait hook and a split shot. Hook the shad through the nose and cast out. I'll let others give instructions on an complicated set up! lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast