Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: When Skipjack Attack

Default When Skipjack Attack

Met up with Ryan and Art at Jeffs house around 2 am, i was feeling good today, i got some sleep and was ready to fish hard and kill some tuna. The plan was to launch down south and look for the Yellow-fins. Did the usual pit stop for ice and fuel ,launched the Kolomona about 5 am, we stopped at the bait barge and picked up some crappy sardines that were barely alive. It was an explosion of scales when they hit the water (all Bad). We headed towards the Coronados. Once the sun was out we set up the trollers and started looking for signs of life. We put out some daisy chains, a Halco and a plug, It didnt take long for ...... HOOOOOOOOOOOOOK UP !!! then DOUBLEEEEEEE!!! OH **** TRIPPLE!!!! Skipiies all around (5-10 lbs) As soon we brought them in i go straight for a mega bait, i was getting picked up on the drop, it was fun battling these fish with light gear (shimano ej300-#15 mono), dont believe i even touched a sardine, all fish came on the troll or jigs,we saw lots of empty pattys, a lot of birds just chilling in on the water we got really excited when Jeff found the porpoises, we worked them hard for a good 30 minutes but struck out, We didn't get any of those Yellowfins, But we had sore arms a bloody deck and plenty of laughs, awesome day on the water, The little bird in the pic asked if he could ride with us for a few miles, he looked very tired ,(side story), Rayn was getting ready to put the troller out but we were not moving yet so he sets down the combo with the halco over the side im not even sure the Halco was in the water when the rod goes completely bendo and starts going over board Ryan grabs the rod and without even turning the handle bounces the skippy on the boat Another great trip aboard the Kolomona.
    Last edited by luckyjr21; 09-14-2018 at 02:21 PM.

The video:

Very cool! Looks like a nice day on the water!

Good job out there guys!
    Hopefully will be able to get out at least a couple more times this year before the bite dies.

Robert
    <><

If you're willing to handle and clean them properly, bonito are one of the best eating fish out there.
    I like them better than YFT.
    Great job on the 'catching' and not just 'fishing'. They are great fighters on the right gear as well.

I smoked some skipjack up for a friend. It was just "okay." Had a fairly strong flavor compared to a piece of YFT that I smoked alongside.

I usually take a share but let him have the whole batch. Not wasting my time on skippies again.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Harper View Post
    I smoked some skipjack up for a friend. It was just "okay." Had a fairly strong flavor compared to a piece of YFT that I smoked alongside.

I usually take a share but let him have the whole batch. Not wasting my time on skippies again.

John
    i dont knowwwwwww it looked like Ryan made some delicious POKEE