Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Havasu Striper Derby Anyone?

Default Havasu Striper Derby Anyone?

Anybody heading up to Lake Havasu this weekend for the W.O.N. Striper Derby? I will be fishing it with my 2 daughters and my son in law. Its a great family event that I have been fishing since 1989! I was up there in March and we caught a bunch of stripers trolling anchovies and sardines in the Bill Williams area. Most were 11-13 inchers but still fun to catch. Anyone have any recent intel from up there?

Wish I was boat not running right so no go. Hope you do good in the derby always fun time when boat is good to go going to Havasu just to hang out and fish let us know how it went...

How did the derby go?

Did you go?

We went and had a great time! My daughter and I weighed in 2 fish on Saturday and 5 on sunday for a total of around 14 pounds. My other daughter and her husband weighed in one on Saturday and 2 on sunday. Our best was 22 inches and theirs was 21 inches. Caught a couple trolling anchovies but most were caught chum/bait/wait with anchovies and sardines. Trolling with 4 on the boat was tough...Weather was perfect...light breeze and under 100 degrees. Even though they only caught 3 keepers, they won a blind bogey worth $560!!! She also won a raffle prize consisting of a Diawa surf rod, 5 spools of line (one is braid) and some lures! She gave me all the raffle loot! ;-) We will definitely be back next year. I will try to post a few pics if I get a free moment this weekend.

Thanks for the reply haven't fished it for the last two years boat troubles. Glad you had a good time and won some stuff and cash, Always a great time there one year only caught one fish but won the blind bogey for cash. Post some photos when you have time would like to see what I missed this year. Thanks for posting.