Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Back Jack do it again! (Catfish at Guasti)

Default Back Jack do it again! (Catfish at Guasti)

Myself and my little posse of fishing friends do have a yearly fishing strategy. I could tell you with a certain degree of accuracy, what specie of fish we will fishing for on a Month by Month basis all through 2018. Getting back to the present, we are going to finish our pond catfishing schedule this Sept hopefully with a bang! We have 4 targeted trips of ponds that are going to be stocked this month with catfish. With a little luck and a lot of skill (lol) we are hoping for a nice score on everyone of them. This past Thursday Sept 6 was the first of the 4 schedule attacks on the ponds. This one was to back at Guasti.

Even though we had a nice hit last week at Guasti, that doesn't necessarily mean we are going to get the same results this week. I had my same fishing partner with me this week as last week Phil. (Glenn couldn't make it he was visiting a sick friend) We brought with us the same baits. Bonito, Shrimp, Power bait and Meal worms on a bobber. When we got there it wasn't very crowded, but some people were in my spot that I had last week. There was plenty of other good spots available, so we went to the poachers spot. I fished there before with power bait and meal worms and didn't catch crap. But the poacher did real good there with Mackerel.

So we set up there, me fishing with power bait and meal worms on a bobber and Phil fishing with Bonito. Both of Phil's polls get hit on his first casts. (me nothing) Phil caught 2 more real quick and a guy comes running from across the lake to set up next to Phil. (he kinda boxed Phil in) I still haven't got a bite yet. Phil catches 2 more and asked if I want to use some Bonito. Nope I'm going to stick with my baits but I need to move spots. After an hour or so, the guy leaves my spot from last week and I move in there. But the water is not on! It does seem to make a difference when using the power bait. I finally get bit on the bobber and it's a nice #4 pound catfish. Phil catches another one and it's now 7 catfish for Phil and I have 1. (that's fishing) I get another real nice one and so does Phil.

With a little more then an hour to go before they close, everyone else but one couple packs up and goes home. They all fished in the middle of the pond and did pretty good. (full stringers of catfish for everyone of them) Now Phil comes back over and fishes to the left of me, just like last week and all the Riff Raff is now gone. I call them Riff Raff because of what happened next, is like what happened in the 2nd Austin Power's movie. Where Fat Bastard stole Austin Powers Mo Jo! Up until that point we had a decent day. We caught 10 catfish which is good, even though Phil caught 8 of them. We only had an hour left to fish before they closed and then these things went on the chew again just like last week. Why this happened, I'm not sure. But we both started catching them real good!

When all the dust settled in that last hour, we caught 11 more catfish. I caught 6 catfish and Phil caught 5 more. All this happened when everybody left and got out of our way. That why I call them Riff Raff, it's not like they were doing anything special with that spot. But when we got into it again, pure magic hit! So we ended up with 21 catfish, Phil caught 13 and I made a good comeback with 8. (I shouldn't have to mention it, but to be on the safe side I will, we C&R all the catfish) We got 3 more catfish trips schedule this month, then it's Tuna and Yellowtail in the Ocean for October.

Thanks for reading our story!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-07-2018 at 09:20 AM.

What an awesome story. great update, my schedule actually cleared on Sat so thought I would go float SARL again (probably a bad idea) and then hit up Belvedere on Sunday with my son. Hope I can get some of your mojo!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alakai View Post
    What an awesome story. great update, my schedule actually cleared on Sat so thought I would go float SARL again (probably a bad idea) and then hit up Belvedere on Sunday with my son. Hope I can get some of your mojo!!
    Catfishing is learned experience. What people forget or never knew is this, even though their an stocked fish like trout. They don't just swim around in a circle and eventually will see your bait. Their in small little spots (I call them postage stamp spots) so you just can't put your chair exactly where someone else was fishing and catching and expect the same results. Even when using the same bait and rig, you must make the same cast as the other person (angle) or you won't catch anything. So if you go back to SARL or anywhere else, remember where other people were catching and try there first. I remember my 2 favorite baits for catfish at SARL were, Shrimp and Night Crawlers both dipped in Garlic.

Good Luck
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-07-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Catfishing is learned experience. What people forget or never knew is this, even though their an stocked fish like trout. They don't just swim around in a circle and eventually will see your bait. Their in small little spots (I call them postage stamp spots) so you just can't put your chair exactly where someone else was fishing and catching and expect the same results. Even when using the same bait and rig, you must make the same cast as the other person (angle) or you won't catch anything. So if you go back to SARL or anywhere else, remember where other people were catching and try there first. I remember my 2 favorite baits for catfish at SARL were, Shrimp and Night Crawlers both dipped in Garlic.

Good Luck

Thank you, I was going to try Shrimp, Mealworms and Marshmallows (dipped as you recommended), Gulp bait you mentioned and maybe Skipjack if I can find that also.

Looking for good spots still, it's hard when you float it since there are very little waymarkers as you are in the water unless you have a GPS finder.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakai View Post
    Thank you, I was going to try Shrimp, Mealworms and Marshmallows (dipped as you recommended), Gulp bait you mentioned and maybe Skipjack if I can find that also.

Looking for good spots still, it's hard when you float it since there are very little waymarkers as you are in the water unless you have a GPS finder.
    Check the video on their websites. It will tell you where they stocked and how many shutes of fish they stocked. Fish around where they stocked. They don't usually travel very far in only a couple of day's after their stocked.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-07-2018 at 09:26 AM.