Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: La Mirada Park Lake

Default La Mirada Park Lake

Anyone know of the best place to fish at La Mirada Park Lake? Plan on taking my son there next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakai View Post
    Anyone know of the best place to fish at La Mirada Park Lake? Plan on taking my son there next weekend.
    That's my lake! What do you want to know? Before you ask, they are having their big Kid's derby Sat Sept 21. Go then or after and you will like it. Right know catfish are only biting at night there in only 1 spot and it's cold then. I went Sunday night and had only 1 bite. The Orange county lakes are probably still a better bet. I went to 1 of them yesterday and caught 1 #3 pound catfish. That doesn't sound like much but they stocked 300 pounds and have hardly caught any of them. So they might go on the chew next week. It's a much better bet then La Mirada.

I found out about the derby and was going to take my son there for it. Was hoping to get some tips and research prior to give him the opportunity to catch some. Any idea of what part of the lake is best?

Quote Originally Posted by Alakai View Post
    I found out about the derby and was going to take my son there for it. Was hoping to get some tips and research prior to give him the opportunity to catch some. Any idea of what part of the lake is best?
    There is 1 guaranteed spot on derby day, if you get it you're gold! I only say 1 spot because this past year the lake is overgrown with weeds on the bottom. So most people baits get buried in the weeds. There is 3 or 4 historic spots that should produce, but with the weeds it's no guarantee! I could tell you in a pm if you want to know the spot.

Derby day at La Mirada is not for the weak at heart. It's the best producing derby and the most crowded. Well maybe the Tri-city derby earns that distinction now! (I've seen memes made from the Tri-city derby) I hear their going to do another one in Oct at Tri-city.

By the way I am the Jedi master of catfish at that lake. We've probably caught 5,000 catfish out of that lake in a 10 year span. But with all the weeds, it's a brand new ball game.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-04-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Don’t want to jack this thread but I’m sure all would appreciate the info,so with the weeds would some type of floating bait work? Will the cats come up out of the grass or weeds to bite,I know some fish worms under a bobber,do you think that may help,these questions are directed to etucker. Or anyone else of course,all tips appreciated. Thanks

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Don’t want to jack this thread but I’m sure all would appreciate the info,so with the weeds would some type of floating bait work? Will the cats come up out of the grass or weeds to bite,I know some fish worms under a bobber,do you think that may help,these questions are directed to etucker. Or anyone else of course,all tips appreciated. Thanks

Cya Tuna Vic
    Good question about the weeds. The lake is a very shallow lake 3 1/2 to 4 feet from the Island to the waterfall. The weeds are almost to half way up down there. The deepest part of the lake is maybe 6 feet, is where I found my bobber method still works. Other then that you would have to run something floating above the weeds or something smelly lying in the weeds. For me, I'm going to live or die with my bobber in the deeper water. My advice to everyone else is M/M, Shrimp/M or Mackerel.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-04-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Good question about the weeds. The lake is a very shallow lake 3 1/2 to 4 feet from the Island to the waterfall. The weeds are almost to half way up down there. The deepest part of the lake is maybe 6 feet, is where I found my bobber method still works. Other then that you would have to run something floating above the weeds or something smelly lying in the weeds. For me, I'm going to live or die with my bobber in the deeper water. My advice to everyone else is M/M, Shrimp/M or Mackerel.
    what about the bass there, I've seen them on the day of the derby hitting dragonflies, had one look at my popper but was idiotic enough to jerk it for a reaction bite.