Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Catfish went crazy for us at Guasti!

Quote Originally Posted by Alakai View Post
    Based on this thread I was looking up Guasti, looks like fun. They stock 800 lbs a week and is about half the price of SARL. Maybe a good place to take my kid also. A bit more of a drive than SARL but maybe worth checking out. Do you go there much? Pretty consistent?
    Here is the story with Guasti. 7 years ago it was one of my go too lakes. They only stocked the big one then more or less. It was great back then because they stocked it at the East end of the lake and the catfish would bleed out from there. (Good fishing) Then some knucklehead got the dumb idea to stock it in the middle of the lake by the fishing pier. (structure) Can you guess where most of the catfish swam too??? Yep right under the pier and they were hard to catch. So I wrote that lake off for years. Last year at this time out of desperation I gave it 1 last try. (the parks weren't very good to me at all) Low and behold when we got there, we found they stocked a small percentage of the plant in the small lake every week. 200 pounds go in the small lake and 600 pounds goes in the big lake. Yes they still swim under the pier, so that's why they stock both lakes now. So we gave it a try on Thursday afternoon. (day of the plant) As I reported in my report, we are fishing for suicidal fish on Thursday afternoon. Yes the fishing is good then but probably only in the small lake on Thursday afternoon. So any other time I wouldn't recommend it.

Pond catfishing is all about strategy. If you can figure it out it's great, if you can't it sucks. Since you have a son the Kids derby's are one way to go. There was a gentlemen name Geateam or something, he would post on here all about fishing the kids catfish derby's. He simply killed it!!! Look him up by going back a year or 2 in the city park section. You'll learn a lot!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-04-2018 at 10:35 PM.

I PMd them and they told me they are stocking but when I looked up their website it said that they are stocking until Sept 1. Maybe I missed the catfish "season" there.
    No I don't think you did. As I said earlier this is about the time we started fishing it last year. We fished the whole month of Sept and averaged 15 catfish for 2 people every Thursday afternoon. The way to know for sure is to call them. Their pretty good at picking up the phone and answering any fishing questions you might have. (They do stop answering their phone at 3:00 pm) I'm going to call them tomorrow and if their going to stock this Thursday I might try it again. (depends on work)

p.s. I called Guasti today and they told me 2 more catfish stockings for the year.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-05-2018 at 01:40 PM.

That's a shame really, I bet the pier is the thing I saw on one of the few videos there are about catfishing at the lake where people are weaving around a metal rail just to net the fish at the end.
    I'm going to the fishing derby with him if you remember, I'm the one that PMd you about La Mirada also. You are a wealth of information! Thanks for all of it

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    No I don't think you did. As I said earlier this is about the time we started fishing it last year. We fished the whole month of Sept and averaged 15 catfish for 2 people every Thursday afternoon. The way to know for sure is to call them. Their pretty good at picking up the phone and answering any fishing questions you might have. (They do stop answering their phone at 3:00 pm) I'm going to call them tomorrow and if their going to stock this Thursday I might try it again. (depends on work)
    Shame, there is no way I can bring my kid on a Thursday and since the park is a hike for me I probably will not be able to make that either.

Shame, there is no way I can bring my kid on a Thursday and since the park is a hike for me I probably will not be able to make that either.
    Work with what you got. You got the La Mirada derby coming up and another Orange County stocking in one of my favorite ponds.

I'm a Real Estate agent and today I was checking on an commercial property in Montebello. In the process of looking for this property on Beverly Blvd. I drove by one of my old stomping grounds (catfish pond) and low and behold their having a kid's catfish derby this Sat Sept 8. It is towards downtown LA but it is a relative safe park. (the sheriff station is right next to it) I don't know if your interested in something in that neck of the woods. But it's a pretty small pond, so the fishing is usually pretty good in there. The name of the park is Belvedere.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-05-2018 at 05:37 PM.

I normally would but unfortunately we have plans this Sat already. I am planning on taking him to Clark on Sunday for a few hours and giving that a try.

Oh and also, I called Guasti yesterday they are stocking up to next week. The guy on the phone was telling me they catch fish all the time there but the dock pier thing does make it painful to fish the large lake

Got that bait you recommended also, jar was $7 wowza. Hoping for the best with that stuff. Guess I will try using a treble over the circle while using it

Alakai, good luck out there. Follow said advice and don’t over analyze it, after all its chasing truck fish. Know the schedules and follow the rule, the more it stinks the less they think
    Last edited by gamekiller; 09-06-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123