Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Catfish went crazy for us at Guasti!

I was more curious about that bait, Chunky Cheese Power bait, Mealworms dipped in Garlic oil and Bonito?? Is that just straight garlic oil?? Any other advice for bait?

Quote Originally Posted by Alakai View Post
    I was more curious about that bait, Chunky Cheese Power bait, Mealworms dipped in Garlic oil and Bonito?? Is that just straight garlic oil?? Any other advice for bait?
    The garlic oil is the trout stuff made by Bite on. When it comes to mealworms I do it a little different. I use a number 6 bait holder hook and put as many of the large mealworms you can fit on them. Usually it's 5 or 6. (then dip then in Garlic) The more economical way to use mealworms is 1 mealworm then 1 marshmellow and 1 mealworm on the end on the same number 6 hook. (the famous M/M bait) I go to Rainbow bait in Compton and buy 1000 mealworms for $15 dollars. So I'm a bait hog! lol

The Bonito is the bomb but it's expensive unless you catch your own. The only place to buy it is Ranch 99 at $2.99 a pound. But the Bonito are big there, so it get's pricey. So that's why I said in my report I had good bait. But since Thursday we have put it to good use and have caught 45 catfish!

The best cheap bait is Mexican markets white shrimp. (don't get the deveined shrimp from Ralphs) I like the smaller shrimps and I do take the shell off. You can fish them straight, dip them in Garlic or with Marshmellows. If you fish them with Marshmellows add lots of Marshmellows. The idea is is to float the shrimp off the bottom so add as many Marshmellows as needed.

Bait is very important, however in the park ponds many times location is more important. For example at the Orange County pond I fished over the weekend. The catfish were just to the left of one airater and I caught 12 catfish from the same spot. I only saw 3 other catfish caught from a different spot. By the way the other 20 catfish I saw caught at the pond that weekend, was from the same general spot.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-04-2018 at 09:28 AM.

My office is almost within rock throwing distance of Guasti so the title drew me in. Only to find it took you but two replies to get political. SMH.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    The garlic oil is the trout stuff made by Bite on. When it comes to mealworms I do it a little different. I use a number 6 bait holder hook and put as many of the large mealworms you can fit on them. Usually it's 5 or 6. (then dip then in Garlic) The more economical way to use mealworms is 1 mealworm then 1 marshmellow and 1 mealworm on the end on the same number 6 hook. (the famous M/M bait) I go to Rainbow bait in Compton and buy 1000 mealworms for $15 dollars. So I'm a bait hog! lol

The Bonito is the bomb but it's expensive unless you catch your own. The only place to buy it is Ranch 99 at $2.99 a pound. But the Bonito are big there, so it get's pricey. So why I said in my report I had good bait. But since Thursday we have put it to good use and have caught 45 catfish!

That all sounds doable, I would like to try it out someday. What about the chunky cheese? is that a flavor that catfish like from Powerbait? Is that in like the trout bait jars?

Bonito > Mackeral huh?

That all sounds doable, I would like to try it out someday. What about the chunky cheese? is that a flavor that catfish like from Powerbait? Is that in like the trout bait jars?

Bonito > Mackeral huh?
    Actually the Chunky Cheese with garlic is a Gulp. (tomato tomato) But it is in the regular trout power bait jars. As a catfish gunslinger (I look for even the slightest edge) So when I say Bonito it is Bonito or Skipjack, it's not Mackeral. I think the catfish like Bonito slightly better then Mackeral.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    My office is almost within rock throwing distance of Guasti so the title drew me in. Only to find it took you but two replies to get political. SMH.
    Boy did you miss the point! I am the biggest advocate that GD discussions stay in the GD section only and fishing topics are free from any other discussions but fishing. So when the 2 Conservative people started to clown around on my fish report. I set them straight!!! They immediately went to a old political thread and made their comments there.

Had I done a fish report with any political nonsense in it, your criticism would have been valid! But that was not the case, the fish report was about fishing only! But when the same two antagonist from the GD section show up in my fish report with nothing valid to say. I say, "shoot first and let God sort them out!"
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-04-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Actually the Chunky Cheese with garlic is a Gulp. (tomato tomato) But it is in the regular trout power bait jars. As a catfish gunslinger (I look for even the slightest edge) So when I say Bonito it is Bonito or Skipjack, it's not Mackeral. I think the catfish like Bonito slightly better then Mackeral.
    Had no idea that catfish would go for that trout bait. Will have to try it, wonder if it will work at SARL also

Had no idea that catfish would go for that trout bait. Will have to try it, wonder if it will work at SARL also
    I've never tried it at SARL, but I have tried it at Lake Wohlford and it worked there too. (dip it in the Garlic to make it really tasty)
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-04-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Based on this thread I was looking up Guasti, looks like fun. They stock 800 lbs a week and is about half the price of SARL. Maybe a good place to take my kid also. A bit more of a drive than SARL but maybe worth checking out. Do you go there much? Pretty consistent?

I PMd them and they told me they are stocking but when I looked up their website it said that they are stocking until Sept 1. Maybe I missed the catfish "season" there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast