Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catfish went crazy for us at Guasti!

Default Catfish went crazy for us at Guasti!

Before I give the story of us catching 32 catfish in a little over 3 hours. (C&R of course) I want to give a disclaimer, we are professionals so your catch rate may be much different then ours. lol (In reality we just got damn lucky)

Let me give a little back ground on catching planted catfish.

There is 2 kinds of fishing for planted catfish. There is the fish for them as soon as their planted catfishing. (also known as Truck chasing) Plus there is fishing for holdover catfish. I do both, so please nobody call me a truck chaser only kinda guy. I fished last month 10 times in a pond that hasn't been stocked since last Sept. I did pretty good all points considered.

This was a fish for the freshly planted kinda trip. At Guasti they do plant catfish every Thursday at noon in the summer months. (they do charge a parking and fishing fee so it is a pay lake) What I found in the last 15 years of pond catfishing is, "there is a percentage of suicidal fish ready to bite right out of the truck." My experience has been about 30% of the plant fall into the suicidal fish category. Once that number has been caught, it get's quiet for awhile. (people mistakenly think they caught all the fish planted) No there still a lot in there but just tougher to catch. They usually go into night time mode, so people have a hard time in catching them. (most lakes don't allow night fishing)

Back to our trip.

We arrived at the usual time (1:00 pm) and much to our surprise there was hardly anyone fishing in the small lake. A couple of newbies and 1 guy who knew what he was doing on the far end of the lake. The whole area of the pond where they stock it was devoid of any anglers. (usually there is about 12 or more people there) That's why I said we got lucky! We had suicidal fish swimming all around us and no one was there to catch them but me and Phil. We had good bait and tackle so it was going to be a slaughter. (not many fish were going to die though)

I was using the ancient Chinese secret on 1 pole (chunky cheese power bait) and a slip bobber with meal worms dipped in Garlic oil on the other. Phil was using fresh Bonito and Shrimp dipped in nothing on his 2 poles. As soon as we cast out, we were bite for the next 3 hours. It was hard to keep 2 poles in the water at the same time. The reason why these catfish were big by pond standards. 2 1/2 to about 5 pounds were the size of these fish and most were 3 pounds or bigger. So you had to net every fish and safely remove the hooks. (mine were easy with 18 treble hooks and the slip bobber fish were mostly hooked in the mouth) Phil did take home a few gut hooked fish for dinner. (I C&R all mine) They were biting so fast and furious I couldn't even sit down for 3 hours. They final stopped biting for us at 4:00 pm. What they did was swim to the other end of the pond. (the other guy started really catching them) We were too tired to move all our stuff the last hour. So I missed 2 bites and caught 1 in the last hour. Phil didn't catch any thing in the last hour.

The final count was me catching 17 catfish and Phil caught 15 catfish. I caught 8 of the catfish on the power bait and 9 on the meal worms on the slip bobber. Phil caught 10 catfish on Bonito and 5 catfish on Shrimp. So it was hard to say what they liked best, but it all worked. I really don't expect to have another day like that this year. But we did start fishing Guasti the same time last year and averaged 15 catfish per trip for the both of us on Thursday afternoons. We always fished 1 to 5 pm because that's what time they close!

Thanks for reading our story.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 08-31-2018 at 08:07 PM.

I love those days and nights. I remember many a night at the Mojave narrows doing my ninja thing. I would have one hundred fish nights fishing by the paddle boat rental spot using the hog wild rubber worms dipped in procure. Most of the fish caught were about 3lbs with the occasional 8+ pounder. I even caught a flat head one night on trout guts. Hesperia also gave up many quality fish on slip bobber rigs and plastic "floater" type baits. So they do indeed work for our local cats.

Nice outing there etucker,my buddies are up at Mountain Lakes,he says thier stocking every week also,thanks for the report,when do these stop stocking Guasti?

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Nice outing there etucker,my buddies are up at Mountain Lakes,he says thier stocking every week also,thanks for the report,when do these stop stocking Guasti?

Cya Tuna Vic
    I believe it goes to Oct.

Spark plugs for weight ?
    You got any crackers for that cheese ??

Quote Originally Posted by tpfishnfool View Post
    Spark plugs for weight ?
    You got any crackers for that cheese ??
    Your comments make no sense at all!

However, it reminds me of a scene from one of my favorite Westerners. (Unforgiven) English Bob was riding in a train commenting about someone shooting the President. When some loud mouth threw an insult at English Bob. (calling the assassin an John Bull like English Bob) English Bob then challenged this loud mouth to a contest of shooting Pheasants for an dollar a shot. English Bob hit 8 Pheasants out of 10 shots, while the loud mouth hit only 1 Pheasants out of his 10 shots. Thus the loud mouth paid English Bob 7 dollars for losing the shooting contest. English Bob being the gentlemen that he was said, "you must have been grieving for your President and thus effecting your shooting ability's!"

I wonder if the same thing must be happening to you? Trump has had the worst 2 weeks of his Presidency. Everything from his campaign manager being found guilty in a court of law. Plus everyone else turning into a cooperating witness and pleading guilty. Along with the Death of a true American War hero and Statesman who the country truly loved! (while Trump couldn't stand him) With all these things happening to your Boy in the White House, it must have made you a little incoherent to the reality's of the world and effecting your cognizant ability's. lol lol lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-01-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Yea buddy.
    In n out is open in 10. Late .....

Yea buddy.
    I just had a no1 no tomato,grilled onion with a coke for lunch. The line was really long too.

Yea buddy.
    That's the response I got from you??? I realize you haven't put two sentences together in any response you've ever given. So I shouldn't be all that surprised! I kinda like matching wits with someone, but in your case I feel like I'm taking advantage of unarmed person!

You do realize you and now Chucky are violating rule 96 on FNN. Which is general discussion topics are (in this case blathering) to stay in the GD section only. You "NEVER" let it spill over to a legitimate fish report! This is the biggest complaint people have about having a GD section. They say the animosity in there spills over into the fishing section. I along with the other progressives and Middle of the Roaders and Independents follow that rule to a tee. So if the Conservative element in here breaks that rule. It doesn't say very much about your character!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-02-2018 at 08:20 PM.

Etuck.
    Relax and enjoy the next term.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast