Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Adding garlic scent to Mackerel for catfish bait?

Default Adding garlic scent to Mackerel for catfish bait?

Anybody have any experience adding garlic scent to fresh mackerel for catfish bait???

I figure I could possibly use minced garlic, garlic powder, garlic salt and/or all of them together? Usually I'll catch fresh mackerel, slice it up into chunks and freeze them until I'm ready to use them. Was thinking I could add the minced garlic, garlic powder, garlic salt or the combination of all of them to the fresh cut up macs before I freeze them in the zip lock bags so they could marinade in it.

My question is, does anybody have any experience doing this? Was wondering if you had success with one over the other? Does any one ingredient ruin the bait and should be avoided as it makes the bait soggy? Should I add some oil or just add the ingredient(s) straight? If so, what oil?

I know bites-on has the Cajun garlic oil I could buy and I already have it in my arsenal... just wondering if I could make something at home and save myself the $7.99 and possibly make a more potent garlic recipe.?.? Was thinking I could buy the ingredients pretty cheap at Costco and would be ready any time I need to make catfish bait.

Any advice / suggestions is much appreciated!

Garlic and anise are both go too scents that work great.

F*ck, that sounds delicious.

This should be on the Recipes section.

BiggetyBones - Your ideas are good. Let me just say, looking back historically, top secret "blends" of catfish attractants go back 100 years or more. The ingredients that you are talking about using are proven in that field. BUT...the one item that seems to really excel is decay. No, I am not "snipe hunting" you here, if you really want to crank out some bait, let those mackerel pieces sit in the back of your pickup truck for a couple of warm SoCal days. Let them start to ferment. Yes, they are godawfulnasty. But, it works for me. Try it or try it not, but regardless please post your results here! It's a FORUM, and it doesn't work if people don't share both their successes and...other trips.