Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Curado DC my 1st day on the water

Default Curado DC my 1st day on the water

I was in need of a reel fix, so when I saw the Curado DC I thought this would be a good place to start. I'll try to keep this short and sweet.
    Took a while to dial it in using the cast control knob. The instructions simply state to tighten it until the side to side play is gone. Mine needed more tightening to prevent overrun.
    Pros- This thing is like butter! So freaking smooth! And the cool sound! Once dialed in you really can cast without your thumb. Great for skipping or windy conditions.

Cons- Even on setting 1 (free cast) I couldn't cast as far as my Gen2 Revo SX. Both had the same line and the exact same lure (XPS 4 inch jerkbait).

So for close to mid-range duty this thing is awesome. For a beginner this thing is awesome since it can be set not to backlash or overrun. In my case I need maximum distance for throwing to stripers and the extra 10 to 15 feet counts. This just means I'll be using the new, cool, smooth Curado DC for Largemouth duty.

So you can't reach the white water at the inlet with your new reel.

Nope. Both my Tatula and Revos can out-distance it. However I did spend the day today throwing a ned rig with it. Smooth as baby poop and plenty of cranking power to land a couple LMB.

Thanks for the honest review. Call me ole'school but I'm still rocking Curado 200SF's but, I was thinking maybe it's time for me to come into the new century.

Ha! I have 2 Curado 200E5's. The higher end Shimano DC reels are better for sure as they have both line-specific settings and additional brake settings. The Curado DC just has line-type setting and the cast control knob. I'd say (just my opinion) that a Curado K is a better buy and the Scorpion and the Metanium are better reels. Of course for just $600 you can pick up an Antares
    I should add that I've had the DC on the water half a dozen times now. Pretty much been using it in free-cast mode with weightless or light Ned-rigged worms. In this mode it will cast a good long way and the drag was really smooth when bringing in a good size catfish at Hodges. Now that I'm more used to fiddling with the cast control knob, I'll try throwing something heavier next time out.
    Last edited by P.A.W.; 09-15-2018 at 09:48 AM.