Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Slaying Sockeye Salmon Saltwater Fishing

Default Slaying Sockeye Salmon Saltwater Fishing

Well after being out on the Salt Friday and having a good day the wife decided Saturday was a good day to Deliver so 5:30 Am contractions start, get to the hospital at 7 AM and baby out by 7:16 am. Fastest limit for us yet… haha. Discharged 12 hours later to home. Yahoo!

My brother and dad were here for the weekend so got in a baby visit plus we decided to go out yesterday off the South Arm of the Fraser. They had never fished for sockeye before and thought it would be a great once in a four year lifetime opportunity.

Left the house around 6 am and out on the water around 730 fishing. To tell you the truth the first couple hours were the slowest part of our day. We would see the odd fish caught as we zig zagged our way through boats and out to deeper water. Then my 20 year old brother fell asleep and the deep rod released and line was pulling. I grabbed the rod and he quickly woke up, took the rod from me and after a fight we had our first fish on the boat. We circled around there and picked up a couple of more pretty quick. Then tides were changing and some really heavy weed lines on the rips were forming and we notice when we got close we either got weeds on our lines or sockeye. So then we just started trolling along this rip line. Then it came to a Y in the rip and right in the corner the fish were stacked like crazy. Every time we went through there we got a single or double header and quickly closed our limit of 12 and had lost another 6 or so. No crazy triple or quads today so took a little longer but was fun. We were running a little deeper today with balls as 77 and 70, two dummy flashers on each, lines at 67, 59, 60, 52. Even went down to 80 feet for a couple fish. All fish were caught trolling about 1.5 to 2.3 mph. I care more about the angle of the line. Like most guys say under 30 degrees for sox has been working for me. We were out in 45o feet of water when we found that good school and caught all our fish over 400 feet deep to the north off Sandhead light. We were using blue, chartreuse and green flashers with red, glow, uv and flash tape on them. All seem to work equally well. One key we seemed to notice was we add Mikes Krill Scent and at one point one side was getting all the action with two blue flashers. We were re scenting every time so we pulled up the other side and put fresh scent on. Then it was game on for both sides after that. So little details may sometimes pay off when the bite is a little tougher. Leader lengths were 22 to 26 inch. I usually put different lengths on all at once. Most fish on the custom googly eyed wild things I made or Pink hootchies.

Back at the dock we expected everyone was ripping back in with limits… but when we talked to 5 or six boats most were skunked and only a couple had caught a few. We were kinda shocked.

IMG_5301 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
    IMG_5338 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
    IMG_5357 by Brandon Koperski, on FlickrIMG_5376 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
    IMG_5378 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
    IMG_5377 by Brandon Koperski, on
    IMG_5382 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
    IMG_5384 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
    IMG_5414 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
    IMG_5418 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
    IMG_5420 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
    IMG_5427 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
    IMG_5428 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
    IMG_5435 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
    IMG_5439 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
    IMG_5453 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr
    IMG_5543 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr

Nice fish dude, I use to live in richmond B.C. and work in point roberts at the marina. Nice knucklebusters too , lol

Quote Originally Posted by muskyman View Post
    Nice fish dude, I use to live in richmond B.C. and work in point roberts at the marina. Nice knucklebusters too , lol
    Yeah, its a great area to live. Lots to do around here. I like the knucklebusters, especially with a chinook or scrappy coho on the line. More fun than a basic trolling reel. These Diawa's do just fine. Not sure I'm ready to spend 500 bucks on the aluminum Islander reels quite yet. I've got little kids who pull in salmon with them so if I lose one of these no big deal.