Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tilapia in Lake Hodges

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    without the commercial removal of the tilapia, do you believe the bass fishery would be what it is there? a commercial gillnet fishery would not be allowed should tilapia get loose and established at any of our local lakes. There are already numbnuts bringing flathead catfish from the river to local lakes to compete with and predate upon the treasured gamefish in our local lakes. Once Pandora's box is opened, you can't close it.
    What'll you bet snakeheads will make an appearance?

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.W. View Post
    What'll you bet snakeheads will make an appearance?
    Already have.....they have been documented 2x in local waters over the last 20 years. Silverwood and Elsinore. Thankfully only one at each.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Kinda reminds me of Striped Bass getting into our 2 premier Bass lakes. (DVL and Castaic) I thought for sure in the 1990's Castaic was going to produce the next world record LMB. (no way now!) What about DVL, it had so much hype by that biologist they hired. (what his name) For a few short years the LMB and the trout were living up to the hype. But alas the stripers got in there and reproduced and now it's a put and take trout fishery only and no holdovers to speak of. Still a decent LMB fishery for the people in the know. But not what they hoped for!! Maybe it was a fools wish anyway!
    The lagoon does not have an established striper population and could still produce a giant and I think the larger lake still has a good lmb population and I see no reason why a larger one wouldn’t still be able to thrive. As usual I disagree with your analysis.

Just thought I’d do a drive by on you since I haven’t been on here in a while, miss me?

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    The lagoon does not have an established striper population and could still produce a giant and I think the larger lake still has a good lmb population and I see no reason why a larger one wouldn’t still be able to thrive. As usual I disagree with your analysis.

Just thought I’d do a drive by on you since I haven’t been on here in a while, miss me?
    I was wondering what happened too you? From my sources (insert joke now) the reason why the Lagoon has/had some really nice LMB in it. Was because when the people in the know knew the Big lake was doomed to not produce a World Record large mouth. They put some really big ones in the lagoon that were caught in the big lake. Sorta of a Life boat of a once great record fishery! Will it last forever?? Hopefully the genetics kicked in and the lagoon remains a good fishery for quality LMB for years to come.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-12-2018 at 02:05 PM.

"Good" is relative, Seal.

Talk to me when multiple DDs are caught during a week like in the early 90s, and imagine the countless ones that were caught and promptly released without the angler babbling to everyone about the catch.

If you disagree that the Castaic largemouth fishery has gone downhill, then we can agree to disagree.

The day that I disagree that all fisheries have not been affected by pressure and take would be the day I would be obviously iignoant.

The day that I disagree that all fisheries have not been affected by pressure and take would be the day I would be obviously iignoant.
    Take and pressure is one thing. But what happened to Castaic in the mid 1990's, had to do with a draw down and the effect of the stripers competing for food with the trophy LMB.

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    without the commercial removal of the tilapia, do you believe the bass fishery would be what it is there? a commercial gillnet fishery would not be allowed should tilapia get loose and established at any of our local lakes. There are already numbnuts bringing flathead catfish from the river to local lakes to compete with and predate upon the treasured gamefish in our local lakes. Once Pandora's box is opened, you can't close it.
    There is no doubt in my mind that tilapia will take over the lake. From photo's I've seen, they are thriving.

I heard Bob would weigh his fish at the market then dump them in the lagoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Peestick View Post
    I heard Bob would weigh his fish at the market then dump them in the lagoon.
    Maybe schoolies?

Striped bass seemed to develop so much lactic acid during fights, especially large ones (read; ones that you'd actually want to weigh) that they were one of the fish that I found IMPOSSIBLE to release, especially after being live welled for a while. I've shaken fish off only for them to float on the surface to die.

I commend any striper that has the life force to survive being live welled for hours, THEN getting weighed....THEN surviving a trip to the lagoon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast