Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing  The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Pete Marino Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Tilapia in Lake Hodges

  1. #1

    Default Tilapia in Lake Hodges

    Received a text from a friend yesterday that said he and a friend of his caught a Tilapia while fishing Lake Hodges.

    Has anyone else seen or heard of Tilapia being in Hodges?

  2. #2

    Default

    theres this fishing app that i use, i did see a few pics on people catching tilapia there

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Menifee
    Posts
    1,134

    Default

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180822_091359.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	51451this is the fish in question
    Last edited by P.A.W.; 08-23-2018 at 11:11 AM.

  4. #4

    Default

    Tilapia were illegally introduced by a private aquaculture facility/hauler from the Imperial Valley with a load of catfish a few years ago.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    Tilapia were illegally introduced by a private aquaculture facility/hauler from the Imperial Valley with a load of catfish a few years ago.
    I guess they got confused, they thought they were dropping off fish to Corona Lake. lol

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Thooget of Humilityland
    Posts
    11,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I guess they got confused, they thought they were dropping off fish to Corona Lake. lol
    At least they did some stocking, amiright?!

  7. #7

    Default

    I don't know about you guys, but Tilapia are great eating and if we could get a great fishery for them local that isn't the disgusting Salton Sea, it could be fun. Not sure about sacrificing Hodges for them though. I'm not sure how disruptive they would be to other species.

  8. #8

    Default

    I've bass fished Lake Novia down in Mexico for the past 15 years. It's loaded with Tilapia. I can't say they've hurt the bass fishing, but they commercially gill net the tilapia for sale in the USA by the thousands each week. I'm afraid they'll take over Hodges.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NFCD I View Post
    I've bass fished Lake Novia down in Mexico for the past 15 years. It's loaded with Tilapia. I can't say they've hurt the bass fishing, but they commercially gill net the tilapia for sale in the USA by the thousands each week. I'm afraid they'll take over Hodges.
    without the commercial removal of the tilapia, do you believe the bass fishery would be what it is there? a commercial gillnet fishery would not be allowed should tilapia get loose and established at any of our local lakes. There are already numbnuts bringing flathead catfish from the river to local lakes to compete with and predate upon the treasured gamefish in our local lakes. Once Pandora's box is opened, you can't close it.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    without the commercial removal of the tilapia, do you believe the bass fishery would be what it is there? a commercial gillnet fishery would not be allowed should tilapia get loose and established at any of our local lakes. There are already numbnuts bringing flathead catfish from the river to local lakes to compete with and predate upon the treasured gamefish in our local lakes. Once Pandora's box is opened, you can't close it.
    Kinda reminds me of Striped Bass getting into our 2 premier Bass lakes. (DVL and Castaic) I thought for sure in the 1990's Castaic was going to produce the next world record LMB. (no way now!) What about DVL, it had so much hype by that biologist they hired. (what's his name) For a few short years the LMB and the trout were living up to the hype. But alas the stripers got in there and reproduced and now it's a put and take trout fishery only and no holdovers to speak of. Still a decent LMB fishery for the people in the know. But not what they hoped for!! Maybe it was a fools wish anyway!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-24-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •