Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Feeding the bass habit

Default Feeding the bass habit

If you’re looking for bass action – this seems to be the time: warm clear water, plenty of bait and active bass near structure/kelp. Paddled out to the nearshore kelp on my old 9ft surfboard with 5 plastics and croc iron in my pack. And new pliers – that had a lot of work today.

As usual for every legal sized one there were 8-10 shorts, but - so what – I did get three in 15-20 “ range, all fish released. Most were calico, but I hit a settlement of sandies and they went crazy: even after all 5 of my plastics were shredded I would toss a chewed up, tailless tube and they would slam it on the drop or follow all the way up, at times 2-3 fish trying to snatch the bait from already hooked bass. No interest in iron, so had to paddle back after 2.5h of solid action. Again didn’t take my Gopro but had my hands full most of the time anyway.

No other species, saw big splashes of someone chasing fish, but did not see who - may have been seal.
    Get out and get some fun action before it changes, they seem to be all over the place.

Sounds like hoot, thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by efishent View Post
    If you’re looking for bass action – this seems to be the time: warm clear water, plenty of bait and active bass near structure/kelp. Paddled out to the nearshore kelp on my old 9ft surfboard with 5 plastics and croc iron in my pack. And new pliers – that had a lot of work today.

As usual for every legal sized one there were 8-10 shorts, but - so what – I did get three in 15-20 “ range, all fish released. Most were calico, but I hit a settlement of sandies and they went crazy: even after all 5 of my plastics were shredded I would toss a chewed up, tailless tube and they would slam it on the drop or follow all the way up, at times 2-3 fish trying to snatch the bait from already hooked bass. No interest in iron, so had to paddle back after 2.5h of solid action. Again didn’t take my Gopro but had my hands full most of the time anyway.

No other species, saw big splashes of someone chasing fish, but did not see who - may have been seal.
    Get out and get some fun action before it changes, they seem to be all over the place.
    Thanks for the report. What area were you in? I'm in Ventura as well
    Last edited by PokerFish; 08-16-2018 at 11:11 AM.

Pokerfish - I sent you PM. It looks like the swell is increasing (=time to surf) , when it slows down again it will be a lot more comfortable to get onboard and into target zones with new package of plastics.

Nice outing,good read sounds like a great session!

Cya Tuna Vic