Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Beach fishing in Newport

Default Beach fishing in Newport

I live in Ventura but I'm in Newport Beach this week for some work training.
    Turns out I'm going to have some free time to myself after 5pm today and tomorrow.

I have some gear in the car so would like to do some fishing in the surf/jetty/pier/harbor.

I'm definitely not asking for any of your secret spots but a general lay of the land would be much appreciated.
    I don't want to burn a bunch of fishing time driving around and trying to figure out where I can park and fish.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Mario
    Last edited by PokerFish; 04-18-2019 at 01:16 AM.

I'm staying at the Fashion Island Hotel and have my car so can travel within the area.

Hit up the docks by the private homes,
    Head down Newport Blvd then left at 15th.
    Cast next to the docks and boats, on the shade side.
    1/4" ounce lead head with a 4" big hammer.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Hit up the docks by the private homes,
    Head down Newport Blvd then left at 15th.
    Cast next to the docks and boats, on the shade side.
    1/4" ounce lead head with a 4" big hammer.

Good Luck
    Thanks for the tip.

Didn't see this in time so went down to the end of Balboa Peninsula and fished off the jetty at West Jetty View Park.
    Caught a small Spotted Bay Bass on a 4" Big Hammer.

I'll try your spot tomorrow after I get out of training.
    Is the spot you're talking about Castaways Park on the map?
    Last edited by PokerFish; 08-09-2018 at 12:36 AM.

Jetty is tough and waste of time when is so many good spots all around the bay. Tough tho for me to describe places to someone not familiar with the bay, but ill try couple easy to find ones,,, occ orange coast community college sailing campus on pch is good place to start u can get away with parking there and is always half dozen spotties to be caught on those docks n pickings in occ docks, but if leave car there and walk north to the big boat dealership marina 75 yards up street next to the big scouts place, and kind of mind ur ps and qs don't make spectacle of self or draw some nosy snobby cu##s attention, the many docks n pilings there at the boat dealership area are excellent and Scotties sqndies and even calico chill there obviously the Scotties and sandies are under the docks and right on the pickings, but out in the open areas between the docks halibut and sandies are everywhere in the open sand and at that spot there's several areas in the open between docks that have some submerged kelps along with some shopping carts old Xmas trees and cinder block piles scattered around in there THAT'S where u can occasionally get nice calico mixed in with Spotties,but you'll have to find these structures n kelps while dragging the sand for halibut and sandies, then when u find em change your approach accordingly, I pull a lot of calicos butts and spotties outta there, and some road bass and short and legal halibut.and like all good spots and good fishing in bay night time is best, better fishing and can get away with fishing without snobby nosy deebaggs trying to run u off. Again, don't park at ten dealerships lot park at occ and walk up there. Go at night no one will bother u furnishings better any way.down ouch on other side of bridge there's a marinate (look up port hole.cafe cafe is on the marina if lookup cafe u can find marina EASILY) that marinate is another great spot and some of the biggest spotties in bay can be caught there sometimes. Again hit it at night, fishing s better anyway and u won't get hassled.Scotties under the docks and right on the pilings and out in the open areas and out off the end dragging the channel bottom u can get some halibut or cudas or occasionally bonito up top and 3/4 way down u can get small white sea bass when the schools pass by which at night is frequently (fish by the boat hard docks light at night in the lot water area where there's ALWAYS Schools obtain chilling in the light area, the white sea bass schools pass through regularly, I've had nights where caught n released 3-4-5 dozen of enjoy or more there but be careful their till plates are so fragile its fun catching em but if don't have the skills to release em unharmed yet u shouldn't target them, but if u do its a blast catching dozens of empty 18"-30" when the school is there. There's lots n lots more great places I've NEVER been skunked at like those ones but that's enough to get u rolling.also, inch wanna catch huge mud marlin from 80-140+lbs with some sand sharks and leopards thrown in, on the north side of pch bridge right underneath bridge on the north side is a condo waterfront condo complex with bunch of docks, if u park away from it and walk to it windscreen on down to the docks at night, fish off the end of the docks castingbout into the open channel at night (farther up the docks from pch bridge the better) THIS is one of if not the best spot in bay for giant mud marlin and sharks in whole bay. Take u hit to master it, u can be jittery yards difference between two dozen mud marlin and sharks in an hour and zero, once u move around experiment little figure it out a little this is one best spots in bay for shore or dock fishing for huge mud marlin and sand and leapord sharks at night in the whole bay once u figure it out a bit. Those are some of the best spots in bay that I can give someone that's not familiar with it to go get some guarantee bendo action. And spots good enough that it unit catching them ur doing something VERY wrong. Change approach. Swim baits are key But ones the fish like and ones designed to catch fishermen in the store are often two very different things! And for sharks and mud marlin squids good, ghost shrimp best, or fillet out a perch and use the fillet. And better be using heavy heavy heavy gear if trying catch those 100+lb mud marlin there! Eastwards will spoil u on 20# and even with fifty u need skills to avoid em sawing u off on pilings. Use at least 30#40#+ & NEVER use wire leaders use 80#mono for leaders. Those giant mud marlin are sneaky wicked smart have been caught n released many times by time reach #80lbs in bay, and the 100 120-130 140-+ lbers just get SMARTER n SMARTER , they don't usually commit suicide on steel or wire leaders use 80#mono with sliding sinker flutes... Good luck .I just gave u best spots I can for someone not familiar with bay, that I've acquired after decade of living on the bay and fishing it 300+nights a year. Those are best most childhood spots I can give u to start out ur bay adventures whilst ACTUALLY catching bunch of fish every night.
    Last edited by heathrob420; 10-08-2018 at 07:52 PM.