Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Anyone gone to SARL in a while?

Default Anyone gone to SARL in a while?

How has it been? I have seen a few videos and it looks dead over the last few weeks. Last time I went, like 3 weeks ago I got skunked. Anyone have any recent luck?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13414.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	51386

My neighbor went last Friday. They got limits early and went to get another pass. After that, the bite died down. They were using shrimp under a bobber and cast very far out.

I went a month ago for the night session. Used mackerel bite on bait that is sold at the tackle shop and didn't catch anything. I saw one group get 1 catfish. Next time im taking some shrimp.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyraptor View Post
    I went a month ago for the night session. Used mackerel bite on bait that is sold at the tackle shop and didn't catch anything. I saw one group get 1 catfish. Next time im taking some shrimp.
    try some fresh chicken liver. Use 8# line and a Carolina rig set up . I've even dropped to 6# when the cats get finicky.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmeister View Post
    try some fresh chicken liver. Use 8# line and a Carolina rig set up . I've even dropped to 6# when the cats get finicky.

Question for you, If you use that setup won't the liver just sit on the bottom?

That's what you want. A catfish will smell that bloody liver from a ways off. I've had nights at Irvine and many other places where liver was the main choice even over fresh mackerel. But with that said, fresh mackerel and Skipjack are my choice of catfish bait. Now if commifornia would allow it [ in our neck of the woods ] live shinners, bluegill, goldfish would be on the top of my list. When you can catch em, live or dead shad is at the top off the list.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmeister View Post
    That's what you want. A catfish will smell that bloody liver from a ways off. I've had nights at Irvine and many other places where liver was the main choice even over fresh mackerel. But with that said, fresh mackerel and Skipjack are my choice of catfish bait. Now if commifornia would allow it [ in our neck of the woods ] live shinners, bluegill, goldfish would be on the top of my list. When you can catch em, live or dead shad is at the top off the list.

So are you putting the bait on using those gauze like "bags"? What kind of setup works for you at SARL?

The method you mention is normally used with a nylon stocking. I just use a size 4 baitholder hook. I use a sustain 1000 for 6# line and a sustain 2500 for 8-10# line. If you have a fresh tub of liver just lob the setup out so the liver won't tear off the hook. For the weight I use 1/8 to 1/4 oz for the 6# line and maybe a 3/8 to 1/2 weight. When I could find it I preferred Zacky farms liver but it seems that most stores carry foster farm liver. The Zacky farms just seemed to be a bit firmer than the Foster farms.

okay awesome. My schedule just cleared so I am going to give it a try tomorrow. Hitting up Chris's pond
    s