Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing  The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Pete Marino Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Anyone gone to SARL in a while?

  1. #1

    Default Anyone gone to SARL in a while?

    How has it been? I have seen a few videos and it looks dead over the last few weeks. Last time I went, like 3 weeks ago I got skunked. Anyone have any recent luck?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    582

    Default

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13414.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	51386

    My neighbor went last Friday. They got limits early and went to get another pass. After that, the bite died down. They were using shrimp under a bobber and cast very far out.

  3. #3

    Default

    I went a month ago for the night session. Used mackerel bite on bait that is sold at the tackle shop and didn't catch anything. I saw one group get 1 catfish. Next time im taking some shrimp.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    torrance
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyraptor View Post
    I went a month ago for the night session. Used mackerel bite on bait that is sold at the tackle shop and didn't catch anything. I saw one group get 1 catfish. Next time im taking some shrimp.
    try some fresh chicken liver. Use 8# line and a Carolina rig set up . I've even dropped to 6# when the cats get finicky.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bassmeister View Post
    try some fresh chicken liver. Use 8# line and a Carolina rig set up . I've even dropped to 6# when the cats get finicky.

    Question for you, If you use that setup won't the liver just sit on the bottom?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    torrance
    Posts
    610

    Default

    That's what you want. A catfish will smell that bloody liver from a ways off. I've had nights at Irvine and many other places where liver was the main choice even over fresh mackerel. But with that said, fresh mackerel and Skipjack are my choice of catfish bait. Now if commifornia would allow it [ in our neck of the woods ] live shinners, bluegill, goldfish would be on the top of my list. When you can catch em, live or dead shad is at the top off the list.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bassmeister View Post
    That's what you want. A catfish will smell that bloody liver from a ways off. I've had nights at Irvine and many other places where liver was the main choice even over fresh mackerel. But with that said, fresh mackerel and Skipjack are my choice of catfish bait. Now if commifornia would allow it [ in our neck of the woods ] live shinners, bluegill, goldfish would be on the top of my list. When you can catch em, live or dead shad is at the top off the list.

    So are you putting the bait on using those gauze like "bags"? What kind of setup works for you at SARL?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    torrance
    Posts
    610

    Default

    The method you mention is normally used with a nylon stocking. I just use a size 4 baitholder hook. I use a sustain 1000 for 6# line and a sustain 2500 for 8-10# line. If you have a fresh tub of liver just lob the setup out so the liver won't tear off the hook. For the weight I use 1/8 to 1/4 oz for the 6# line and maybe a 3/8 to 1/2 weight. When I could find it I preferred Zacky farms liver but it seems that most stores carry foster farm liver. The Zacky farms just seemed to be a bit firmer than the Foster farms.

  9. #9

    Default

    okay awesome. My schedule just cleared so I am going to give it a try tomorrow. Hitting up Chris's pond
    s

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •