Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 14 in Sand Calico limit

Default 14 in Sand Calico limit

I think this was a awesome ideal. I took
    4 newbie's and they caught 20 sand and calicos bass
    a piece on a half day trip. They know nothing about fishing. But they were mad that they didn't catch 14 inch bass instead they caught 13 inch bass all day.
    We also caught 18 inch barracuda all day, great fun out of Dana Point.
    Last edited by sodapop; 08-04-2018 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
    I think this was an awesome ideal. I took
    4 newbie's and they caught 20 sand and calicos bass
    Apiece on a half day trip. They know noi about fishing.
    They were as of every on boat mad they didn't to keep them. I think without the rule they would had a very difficult time catching fish.
    It must be way past my bedtime because that was a tough read.

I personally like the new rules. (the reason why?) I remember the start of my Salt water fishing career in the 1970's. It amounted to Albacore in the Summer and Rockcod in the winter. What was mostly in between was Bass! Calico's when the water got warm enough and Sand Bass in the summer. It was unbelievable compared to what it is now. So having these mostly throw everything back Bass trips are ok by me. There still a lot of fun on light tackle and it's helping save the fishery!

What etucker said,most definitely!

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFish View Post
    It must be way past my bedtime because that was a tough read.
    Sorry thought I saved it, not post it

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I personally like the new rules. (the reason why?) I remember the start of my Salt water fishing career in the 1970's. It amounted to Albacore in the Summer and Rockcod in the winter. What was mostly in between was Bass! Calico's when the water got warm enough and Sand Bass in the summer. It was unbelievable compared to what it is now. So having these mostly throw everything back Bass trips are ok by me. There still a lot of fun on light tackle and it's helping save the fishery!
    When I was a kid my Grandpa would go albacore fishing all the time, but today I never see an albacore report.
    What happen to the albacore

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
    When I was a kid my Grandpa would go albacore fishing all the time, but today I never see an albacore report.
    What happen to the albacore
    The simplest explanation is the currents changed. They swim to Japan and back and now they hit the American coast up in Northern Ca and swim up to Washington state and then back to Japan. There is hope they will 1 day come back to the California Bight. They left us before in 1987 and didn't return til 1998 and then stayed with us for about 10 years before vanishing again. So they might come back again in our lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    The simplest explanation is the currents changed. They swim to Japan and back and now they hit the American coast up in Northern Ca and swim up to Washington state and then back to Japan. There is hope they will 1 day come back to the California Bight. They left us before in 1987 and didn't return til 1998 and then stayed with us for about 10 years before vanishing again. So they might come back again in our lifetime!
    Thanks for info